is my 35 mth old son stubborn or really not ready to use the potty?

i have read all the signs the books say he he needs to have and he has some but not all. he will tell me no potty today, tomorrow. he always wakes up wet. i let him run around one day for 4 hours with no bottoms on and kept putting him on the potty chair and he never went. help!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

caydensmom715

Asked by caydensmom715 at 3:41 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well, I really don't have any advice to give other than tell you what I did with my boys. My youngest will be 36 months next monday and he is completely potty trained, I took the diapers away from him around christmas. I just put him in underwear at home first. If he peed-he knew it and pooped too. He got the hang of using the potty real quick! Now, he is completely potty trained. Same for my oldest.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 3:46 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I'm dealing with the same kind of crap right now and my child is around the same age. I think boys are supposed to be harder to potty train. Just pick a routine and stick with it. One day our kids will get it!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 3:46 PM on May. 24, 2009

• exactly-I think consistency is more important than anything! For my boys it was the fact that if they went in their underwear-they would get messy. This was proven true each and everytime. My youngest would bring me a diaper to wear sometimes and I would tell him no.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 3:55 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Well, apparently your 3 year old didn't read the books.

You can either start forcing the issue with him or wait until he's really read, not when some book says your son (who the author never met) is ready.

Sorry, but I have to laugh at still counting age in months! lol
    Anonymous

• My daughter was in diapers until she was four; she figured out how to tie her shoes and was reading by the time she was fully potty trained.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:24 PM on May. 24, 2009

• i'm having the same problem. my 3.5 yr old is still not potty trained. the only time he will go in the potty is when he's naked, and even then, he still won't poop in the potty. he will just hold it in until i put pull ups or underwear on him. he don't care if he messes up his underwear. i have no idea what to do.
    gabesmom05

Answer by gabesmom05 at 1:31 PM on May. 25, 2009