Am I overreacting???

So today on my drive home from work, I noticed one of my neighbors is flying a confederate flag outside. Normally I would shrug it off, but I don't want to be in any way associated with that symbol. I'm thinking about complaining to the office. Should I? Or should I just leave it be? It's a rather large flag, and I live by Milwaukee, not anywhere near the south...

Maybe I am making a mountain out of a molehill.. I just need honest advice. Thanks.

MandyOs

Asked by MandyOs at 4:02 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• As someone who was born and raised in the South, I have to say that I never knew why people had a problem with the Confederate flag. When I moved out here, I took my flag with me and we have it up in the garage along with some other civil war stuff (its DH's man cave..lol). I have some black friends that didn't even care and I have a few that wanted me to explain why I had it (b/c I'm certainly not racist).

To me, it simply stands for the Southern way of life. Its a representation of all the special things that make up our culture. And yes, being Southern is a different kind of culture. Just like within the Southern culture, there are varying cultures within the whole. Texas southern is very different from Arkansas southern and those are both different from Georgia southern....

So, please don't get upset....Its a Southern thang, you wouldn't understand...LOL
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:50 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Get over it. His flag, his house, his choice. I used to be really proud of the USA flag, but now, it has been so commercialized and adopted by so many right wingers that it has become difficult for me to see and impossible for me to fly in my front yard.
    LeftBrainy

Answer by LeftBrainy at 4:04 PM on May. 24, 2009

• This IS STILL America. Wether you agree of disagree with his choice of flag. You MUST respect that. If you decided to fly a gay flag or a Muslim flag or whatever, you wouldnt want him to decide that you couldnt fly it

Leave it alone. Thats what starts controversy and problems where they could have been avoided.
    Anonymous

• Legally they have the right to it. Is there something in your lease that would cover things like that? Calling the office may not accomplish anything, and (assuming they aren't the type of people who have no clue what it means and think it's harmless) if they are brazen enough to hang it in plain sight, they probably aren't the type of people you want to make mad.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:07 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I'd let it be. It's America, your neighbor has the freedom to fly whatever flag he or she so chooses. If he was using the flag to intimidate people or use it for harm, that's a different story. If the flag is just being flown, it's not a big deal.
    s_a_l_t

Answer by s_a_l_t at 4:08 PM on May. 24, 2009

• 4:06 PM on May. 24, 2009 by: Anonymous
    If you decided to fly a gay flag or a Muslim flag

gay pride flags and muslim flags aren't symbolic of hate groups or white supremacists
    Anonymous

• You've all made really good points. But anon did also..
    Does it change things if I admit to living in a "mobile home community" ?
    MandyOs

Answer by MandyOs at 4:12 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I'm from the South, and I can appreciate this person flying the flag. To me, it's not a symbol of oppression. Rather, it's a symbol of fighting for rights that are being taken away. Sounds like this person feels that this is what's happening today, and many would agree with him.

I know this will get things started, but I can't help feeling this country is going in the wrong direction. If I had one, I'd probably fly a Confederate flag as well!
    Anonymous

• anon at 4:10.....The confederate flag DOES not stand for HATE for everyone. What a huge generalization that is. To some in the South it is a representation of the the South.

If they are using it in a way to show hate, or to intimidate other, then they may have a right to complain.

But other than that, its a piece of material, it is whatever you yourself make of it!!!

This is America, you can fly a flag in front of you house.

In fact, the Nazi flag is probably the very representation of a HATE flag, but here in America you would have a tough battle on your hands to try and legally remove it from someones private property.
    Anonymous

• Mandy O. where you live makes no difference in this matter, its still America and its still his property. Even if he only pays rent.
    Anonymous