Homeschoolers and "extracurriculars"

What's the most extracurricular activities a homeschooled child should be involved in? Talking about things like team sports, art or music lessons, dance/gymnastics, etc. I know it depends on the child's age and temperament, the specifics of the activities, and the overall picture... but just in general: what, in your opinion, is Not Enough, Too Much, and Just Right?

Do you find that you feel a need to push your children to participate in these activities, or that they tend to want to overschedule themselves and you feel a need to help them prioritize and set limits?

Just curious! (And I put extracurricular in quotation marks because in our lives, nothing is curricular to begin with... and everything is. But it's a handy word for conveying a certain group of outside activities of a non-academic nature.)

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 4:12 PM on May. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• Um... it's all about balance.... Academics/Extra-Curricular/Family/ Indep. Play time. and what they childrens interests are. I'd chart it out and see how much time is spent on each, which are the most imp. (Family, Academic, and Indep. Play for me) and then go from there, taking in childrens input (regardless of age but weighing as appropiate for that child) and then see how i feel. Children and families are all diff. so what is right for one is not nec. right for the other. If you are homeschooling chances are that you don't need to spend as much time on academics as someone who is at school b/c there is closer attention plus you can do more integration. So you have more time for "extra" activities. I'd also look at all the activities and look for a mix of Indiv/Team, Arts, Music, Diff. skills, etc. etc.

MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:25 PM on May. 24, 2009

• my kids are too young but I have seen many homeschool parents push too many things and the kids are exhausted and so are the parents. I think that doing more than 4 is stretching it butthey need at least 1. There needs to be down time as well you don't want anyone to get burnt out than they wil have a hard time giving their best, and there wil be a constant battle to go to different places. I don't think that more is better, but that giving your all is the best thing, make sense?
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 4:22 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I think its a good idea to have your children in some activities. If they dont like it then i would take them out and have them try something else but at least have them try different things. With being home schooled having them in other activities is a good thing because they are not already with other kids on a daily basis. But i dont think pushing them into a bunch of things is a good idea either you dont want them to feel to much pressure. Hope this helped =)
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 4:23 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I have a friend who took her daughter out of public school early on, she thought her child was tormented or something, she put her in a private Christian school and felt she was treated the same way so she pulled her from there and is now homeschooling her. Now.... this friend is a very negative complaining person, I happen to think that whatever happened was likely blown way out of proportion, but I don't disagree with home schooling at all.

All that to talk about how she has her daughter in dance, she has dance classes about 6 days a week. The child barely has time for the homeschooling much less time for regular school. If she's not in practice she's in dance competitions.

I happen to think it's too much. She is .... either 10 or 11 and I personally wouldn't have my child in activities for more than 2 or 3 days a week. JMHO.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 4:23 PM on May. 24, 2009

• let's see, we played soccer & baseball. My sisters danced. we were all in 4-H and church youth group... plus 2 home school groups and took classes from other parents; art, sewing, cooking,,,,,,
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 4:44 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Homeschooled or not, I think one activity per "season" is enough. It makes me nuts when kids on one of my child's teams is involved in so many activities they can only make it to half the practices or games. That really lets everyone else down. I am using sports as an example because the is what my boys love. I am betting those involved in the arts would agree... its hard to play a soccer game or practice for a play when half the kids are so over-scheduled they can not commit to anything fully!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 4:58 PM on May. 24, 2009

• My home-schooled kid are 3 & almost 5, and right now in nothing except hanging with mommy, daddy, the occasional library story hour and church classes Sunday morning. Some of the things I have thought about getting them involved in (maybe only 1 per kid at a time) have been horseback riding (havent found anyone giving lessons), dance for my dd (still too young tho in my opinion), sports, AWANA (none in our area), Frontier Girls and I forget the boys one (too young still), and music (too young in my opinion)

TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:18 PM on May. 24, 2009

• DD, she's two, will be homeschooled and right now she's in gymnastics. I'd really like to put her in Girl Scouts because I have fond memories of that. I'd also like to have her learn tranditional Indian (DH is from India) dance.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 8:44 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I don't see the problem with kids being in gymnastics/dance (PE), and then some days go to music lessons. That's what we did in public school. I really hope that I can move and find good homeschooling groups because where I am at people are very mainstream.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 8:47 PM on May. 24, 2009