I'm not married to my son's father nor we live together and he has a good job as a bus driver for special people,I'm on public assistance and he wants to claim his son on his taxes;should I let him or would I get in trouble because the state is claiming him?

wandaluv

Asked by wandaluv at 4:26 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Relationships

• No, do not let him
    Anonymous

• The child support decree says who gets to claim the child on taxes. find it, read, it and stick to what the judge says. If you feel that the judge needs to revisit the issue, then go back to court. You can get yourself into problems later if you vary from a court decree now.
    LeftBrainy

Answer by LeftBrainy at 4:31 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I wouldn't do it... with you getting assistance, he's on record as living in your home. If he does it and you don't know about it is one thing... he'll be the one paying the money back but if they think you're lying about the child living with you, YOU get to pay all of that assistance back when they find out and everything goes by SS #'s so how long do you think it would take?
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 5:09 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Look , i know people who dupe the system all the time, and they get food stamps for their kids, but when tax time comes around, because they didn't have a job, they can't claim them....As long as the father was supporting the kids for more than six months out of the year, then by law, the man can actually claim them on their taxes....there is no issue with that, just don't go blabbing what you did to someone else. I have done it and seen it done. It works, as long as the kids aren't claimed on two returns....
    Anonymous

• it's up to you i would say either way, my husband claims two of his children and their mother claims the youngest and her daughter that's not my husband's
    sherlockhlm

Answer by sherlockhlm at 6:39 PM on May. 24, 2009

• when you have PA, does the state really claim them? I never knew that.
    youngmm

Answer by youngmm at 1:20 AM on May. 25, 2009