Is anyone else dealing with dehydration and pregnancy?

I was in labor and delivery Friday for major contraction like pain (i'm 5 1/2 months preggo) and they told me it was dehydration, gave me two bags of IV fluids, and sent me home. Said a little pain was normal, and it should go away soon. Well, it still feels like i'm having contractions, though not as bad as it was, and i still have a lot of pain in my sides. Anyone else having or had this issue??

MommaTurbo

Asked by MommaTurbo at 4:34 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Ugh, I've dealt with that all the way through both of my pregnancies! It seems like I can never get enough fluids. When you start to feel that way get a 32 oz Gatorade and drink it within about 15 minutes to half an hour. That's what my dr told me to do and it works wonders. Good luck!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 4:37 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Are you still dehydrated?
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 4:37 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I doubt i'm still dehydrated, i'm drinking at least two liters a day, like they told me to, and peeing clear (sorry, TMI). They just said it was the after effects of dehydration and puking all night thursday.
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 4:40 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I just wanted to know about the dehydration because if your pee wasnt clear that could explain whay the pains were still there. The pain could be from thursday nights puking. If it continues and dosnt get better at all then i would call your doctor also call if it gets any worse or spreads to other parts of your body such as your stomach back or down into your legs. Hope you feel better and stay hydrated.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 4:42 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I've been in the hospital, pregnant and not pregnant, with dehydration. It's normal for you to still be in pain for a couple days afterwards. I was in agony for 3 days after the last time I got dehydrated. Continue drinking, get alot of rest and if you aren't feeling better Tuesday when your doctors office opens, go get seen by them. If the pain gets worse, definately go back to the hospital. I hope you feel better!
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 4:46 PM on May. 24, 2009

• yeah i got kidney stones from being out in the heat but I was drinking lots of water and gatorade too and still got them and was causing contractions too but this was with my last pregnancy
    Anonymous

• Dehydration is something that i have fought through my entire pregnancy!! Drink anything you can get down... I hate water, have to use crystal light or something to be able to drink enough of it a day, but dehydration is so dangerous!!! DRINK DRINK DRINK
    krayzbabylove

Answer by krayzbabylove at 6:09 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I dont think I'm dehydrated but it sure feels like it....I stay thirsty ALL DAY!....It sucks!
    jgirl08

Answer by jgirl08 at 7:01 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Could your gallbladder be acting up? Personally with my pregnancies I've been so sick the first 6 months that nothing would stay down so of course I would get dehydrated. But I never experienced contraction like pains because of it. Now when my gall bladder decided to go and produce stones that was a different story.
    Hope you get better!
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 2:52 AM on May. 26, 2009

• On top of drinking the fluids, eat jello. I'm 8 weeks pregnant struggling with terrible morning sickness. Drinking fluids makes me nauseous. I sip as much as I can, but eat a lot of jello and suck on ice chips.

If you're dehydrated because you're vomiting too much, then you need to ask your dr. for some Zofran.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:23 AM on May. 26, 2009