Breastfeeding and working in production WHAT DO I DO??

i work in a book bindery and we get 15 minute breaks once at 9:00 A.M. and 2:00 P.M. and a half hour lunch break at 11:00 A.M. i'm afraid that it won't be enough time to pump because when i pump only a little bit of milk comes out. What can i do to make the milk come out faster? or make a schedule to make sure i don't leak at work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• here is a couple llinks to help you http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bf-links-pumping.html and http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bf-links-pumps.html
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 4:47 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Can you work with your supervisors on this? I'm wondering if they would allow you to extend your 15 minute breaks so you can BF, if you came in a little early or left a little later. You might check into labor laws, too (are you in a unionized job, by chance?) to see if your employer is required to make reasonable accommodations for you to be able to BF.
    Mamastheword

Answer by Mamastheword at 4:51 PM on May. 24, 2009

• When I was breastfeeding and working full time (2 years), I took three 20 minute breaks a day.
    Some suggestions to increase your supply: drink lots of water, take brewers yeast tabs, while you pump look at pictures of your baby and do relaxation breathing.
    I know that the laws vary by state, but check with your HR department on make accomodations for you.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:56 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I think that your 15 minute breaks would work well for pumping... 10-15 minutes should be all it takes to pump.
    To make more milk come out: RELAX, imagine your baby, imagine feeding your baby and think of the milk coming out. It might help to massage your breasts while pumping. Make sure you have a high quality pump and that it's working well.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:23 PM on May. 24, 2009

• 15 min should be plenty of time. Regardless of how much u are getting its keeping ur supply up so u can continue to nurse. Good luck.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:00 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Get 3 sets of horns and use a clean one each time you pump. Depending on where you are they may be required to provide you with a place and the time to pump.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 10:39 PM on May. 24, 2009