How do you deal with people who boss your kids around but say nothing to their kids?

I am the young primary teacher at my church. It is for kids 18 months to 4 years. I was in there today trying to work with 3 kids and a man brought his son into the class. The boy is 2 and hates going in there. While he was in there he would take toys away from my son. Would not share, was constantly yelling. I didn't say anything to him because his father was in there. Finally he took a toy away from my son and my ds hit him. I didn't get the chance to say anything to my ds before his father jumped on him. He didn't say anything to his boy!!! His ds is always running and screaming through out the church and never listens to anyone. I was livid and told the other boy that my ds had the toy first and we have to share. If my son can't share he has to go in time out. What do I do? I would have gone off on someone doing this to my kid any other time. Any ideas. What do you do? Thanks.

krissyvelazquez

Asked by krissyvelazquez at 4:53 PM on May. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would have sat BOTH the kids down. And walk the other little boy through how to ask for something, your son with how to share and then put BOTH of them on time-out for being inapp. and completely ignored the father (except for maybe a hard look).
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:02 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Go ahead and go off. The man isn't doing his kid any favors by not stopping that kind of behavior.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 5:00 PM on May. 24, 2009

• My BIL does that to my oldest. She is 5 and his ds is 4 and the other day his son was chacing my dd around trying to bite her (they were playing) and he got on to her for running in the house. I said she was running because ___ was trying to bite her. Then I told him to stop trying to bite her. I understand my problem is family. I dont know what I would have done in you situation but I think most of us have some form of this in our life.
    Anonymous

• I guess I would have told the man that while your son should not have hit, his son should not have taken the toy away from him and that they both needed time out. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 6:45 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I think you could've said "___ took the toy from ___." Asked your son to apologize because hitting is never appropriate, and seen if the dad asked his son to say sorry. If he didn't, you have the choice of stepping in as teacher, or ignoring it and teaching your son how to move on, hug him and find something to play with away from that boy.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:13 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I would have told the other parent to discipline his own kid before he tries to discipline someone else's
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:25 AM on May. 25, 2009