Does Your Toddler Nap?.. When are they old enough to not need a nap?

My 2 yr old has a hard time taking a nap.. we're on a schedule for arournd 2 or 3 cause after that she wont sleep.. but if she doesnt nap.. shes extra cranky around 630 or 7 but either way i still cant get her to bed by 830 or 9. she'll only stay in her bed if im there.. which is until 10 and then she goes to sleep. well i work alot and 10 to me is late! so does anyone have any suggestions about how to get her to sleep? i usually use a cup of warm milk and her pasi.. but i also want to take the pasi away... but shes so attached! any help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Look, to be honest, if she isn't wanting to nap, why let her? my two year old goes through his phases, if he doesn't want to nap, then i don't force him by any means, he just goes to bed earlier. I turn all the lights out, no night light, even, that just lets him stay up, and make sure there is nothing that he can get involved in. He gets bored and falls asleep. She may act wired, but that is her way of letting your know that she is really tired. Try only letting her watch TV, or nothing at all, and no lights, and you might get her to bed when you do.....then stay on the same routine, and it will be the same time very day....
    Anonymous

• The only help I can offer is with your pasi situation, try buying her something for a big girl & tell her that the pasi is for babies & shes not a baby anymore. make a big deal about it & it might take a few days for her to forget about it but she will.
    babylovee

Answer by babylovee at 6:42 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Honestly, my daughters still benefited from a nap until they went to Kindergarten. Of course, this was mostly because I work and they had to be dropped off at the sitters at 7:00. By afternoon, they were ready for a rest, not long so as to make it hard to go to sleep at night, but just enough so they were not cranky. You have to know your child and what they need. All are different.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 6:49 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Each child is different honestly, my daughter stopped napping at about one and a half years, she just did not want to, she did rest though. My son however NEEDS his naps, believe me you can tell when he has missed his nap! He actually can't seem to go to bed on time when he has missed his nap, he gets over tired and cranky. He gets up at 7am, nap at 1pm which used to be 11 am however visitations..... (up no later then 3pm) then bed by 7 pm... I'm very strict with his schedule and he does well... IDK I found schedules are key with my children but then again each child is different...

Doctors suggest NO tv one hour prior to bed, I don't recall why, my son does not watch TV any ways.... Hope this helps!! Good luck!!
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 10:44 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I have a 2 yr old daughter who now "sometimes" takes 1 nap a day. She used to take 2 a day until she turned 2 or right before. Now a days she will either fall asleep herself in her bed watching a video (only Spongebob, Max & Ruby or Molly & Big Comfy Couch) or watching one of those videos or cartoons in the living room. Sometimes she skips the afternoon nap and falls asleep during dinner (which is hilarious, cause she is still eating when she does it) at 5pm and sleeps for an hour or so. When she does sleep like that she stays up until around 11pm. She is starting to sleep in until 8 or 8:30 am. She used to wake up by 6am (which I hated). It just takes time and you can't force a toddler to nap. Sometimes a stroll in the stroller in the sunshine puts my daughter out like a light or playing in the yard right before will put her sleep.
    To break the binkie for good....cut the end nipple off and offer it back.
    sbrast35

Answer by sbrast35 at 12:16 AM on May. 27, 2009

• My daughter is 22 months and used to nap most days between 2 and 4 (usually about an hour and half) and go to sleep for the evening anywhere from 8-9pm. She recently started attempting to climb out of her crib so we started on the toddler bed. Now, I'm thinking naps just might be a thing of the past. We'll see. I'm going to keep putting her down for naptime and crossing my fingers.

I'm also wondering how in the world they coordinate naps in daycares...sheesh, it's rough enough trying to get ONE to bed.
    Melissa4o5

Answer by Melissa4o5 at 3:29 PM on Nov. 25, 2009