Who knows this Rule of thumb about cooking?

Okay, Can you please help me? What is it... If its grown under the ground.. You... If its grown above the ground you....Meaning which goes in the pot of water cold & which goes in the pot of water after it starts boiling? I have A Bad Migraine today & can't remember! Your Kind Reply is Deeply appreciated! Thank You!

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 5:35 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I only wait for the pot to boil for pasta.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:46 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Yeah. Sorry, Linda, pasta and Minute Rice are about the only things I wait for the water to come to a boil on. Any sort of fruit or vegetable I cook, I go on and toss it in before cutting on the eye.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 6:21 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Linda, you should ask Chefjen, she's my go to girl when it comes to cooking questions. BTW I didn't even know there was a difference.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 9:24 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I left the link for Jenn on her page. Maybe she will be by soon.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 9:40 PM on May. 24, 2009

• tubers ( underground) in the pot at the beginning,   You can use warm or cald water to start the cooking . above the ground (like Broccoli) have the water boiling first. also salt the water AFTER it boils because it actually raises them temp.barbecuing

chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:31 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I only use boiling water for pasta and rice, otherwise I put the food in and let the water boil and the food cook.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:26 AM on May. 25, 2009

• interesting. I always start my rice in with the water. I will try the otherway and see what happens.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 2:23 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Above the Ground , is Normally Water Boiling......
    SuzieQ45

Answer by SuzieQ45 at 9:49 AM on May. 26, 2009