If your pastor left your church

would you follow him/her to the new church or embrace the pastor assigned to your church?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• This happened to us this time last year. The pastor that married us and baptized my son moved to a different church about an hour away. I don't like the new pastor, but I can't make that kind of a drive. I've been absent about half the Sundays so far this year...
    LuccasMommy

Answer by LuccasMommy at 5:44 PM on May. 24, 2009

• If you like him/her that much it would be up to you... but pastors come and go in many churches all the time and most times the congregation stays right where they are...JMO
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 5:44 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Obviously, not an issue I have to worry about, but I would hope I'd keep an open mind. A good friend of mine went through this last year and did not take it well. She adored the old pastor, but he was an interim, and it was always known he'd be leaving. When he left it wasn't just across town, it was across country. She has not given the new guy a fair chance. He is the polar opposite of the interim pastor, they do everything differently, so I understand part of why she doesn't like him. But, he decided up front that he didn't like him before he even said a word.
    I don't know if she would like this new one as much as the old, as I said, very different styles, but I have to think she'd be much happier if she'd at least given him a fair chance.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:49 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I think I would follow the pastor if I really wanted to. We've moved a lot and had to leave churches, but one pastor of ours in FL actually left the church (altogether- not for another one) and I was so shook up about it. Thankfully though the associate pastor stepped up and took over and we loved him too.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:48 PM on May. 24, 2009

• This happened at my church several years back. I absolutely adored the old Pastor (he even baptized my son), but when he went to a new church, we stayed behind and gave the new pastor a chance. He isn't nearly the same as the old Pastor, but he tries hard and is a good, kindhearted man of God. Try to give the new ones a chance. Change happens...
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 8:48 PM on May. 24, 2009

• My pastor is taking a sabactical for two months. When he spoke to the congregation about what will be going on during this time in the church one of the things he spoke on was that the chruch is built on God not him. As much as I do not want to see him go even for two months, I agree with why he is doing it and look forward to hearing some of the other pastor preach more.
    Crystal750

Answer by Crystal750 at 9:17 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I d/k if he was a really good preacher, then I would follow him. I like aggressive preachers.Ones that don't monotone you to sleep, but jolt your attention on them at all times. God bless

mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 9:39 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I'd stay at my church. I don't follow men, I follow God. If the new pastor made me uncomfortable, then I would leave the church. Not necessarily to find the old pastor at his new church but to find a place where I felt comfortable to worship.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:33 AM on May. 25, 2009