What's wrong with my baby?

My dd has been sleeping non-stop for 2 days. She has never been a "napper" and she usually takes maybe one long nap during the day and sleeps 8-10 hours at night, waking up once, sometimes twice, to eat and she's right back to sleep. She will be 7 weeks old wednesday and the past 2 days she has been constantly sleeping. I even have to wake her up to eat!! And she keeps falling back asleep 5 minutes into nursing. She is not acting like herself and I'm afraid something is wrong. She doesn't have a fever(I have been checking it regularly), but she just isn't acting like her normal happy self. Is there anyone who has had this happen before? What could be wrong? Or is this normal?

MadisonsMom0408

Asked by MadisonsMom0408 at 5:46 PM on May. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would agree, sounds like a growth spurt to me, my youngest did that once or twice. If you feel very uncomfortable with it I would call her pediatrician or make an appointment. Follow your mother's intuition, no matter what people tell you. If they think you are being paranoid, you have every right to be, you are a mommy. I think that things will be just fine, but never second guess what you feel is right. Or call the hospital and ask to speak to a nurse if it is really bothering you.Best of luck to you! She sure is precious! :)
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 12:48 AM on May. 25, 2009

• is she "lively" when you feed her? is she breathing ok (I mean is she wheezing or not breathing rather steadily)...7 weeks old is very young and babies just....sleep! it is normal! if she was once not like this and the constant sleeping came out of nowehere, call the dr and ask to put your mind at ease, or if you cant wait till after the holiday, call the triage line at your local hospital (not to scare ya, I mean just call for the general advice!). also it could be a growth spurt. my son sleeps like a rock during growth spurts.
    Anonymous

• I would say probably a growth spurt if she is otherwise not acting sick or running a fever.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:50 PM on May. 24, 2009

• This sounds like she is probably about to have a growth spurt. Make sure that she is wetting diapers and her soft spot is not sunken in (this is a sign of dehydration). If you are really worried (always trust your mommy-sense) then call the hospital where you delivered and ask for the maternal/child specialist, or whoever answers questions about newborns.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:53 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I agree with the growth spurt thing too, except that you said she isn't eating but like for 5 minutes, that could signal something else, when my kids would have a growth spurt they would be starving all the time and sleep when not eating. Maybe just put a call in to the after hours at your Dr office, or the triage line like previous poster said. Doesnt sound like anything to bad though. If it is still going on Tuesday I might take her in.
    Anonymous

• I'd probably take her in just in case. When babies have a growth spurt they usually eat like crazy and sleep but since she's not eating I'd be kinda worried.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 8:41 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I say have her looked at, my DD did the same thing and she was what they called a butterfly nurser, meaning that she would latch on and then dooze off and she was not getting enough to eat. They said eventually she would have just gone to sleep and never woken up. Please just get her checked and in the meantime maybe give her a formula suplement so you can tell exactally how many oz's she is getting.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:44 PM on May. 24, 2009

• It sounds like a growth spurt to me but if you are that worried, take her to the doctor or call the doctors office and talk to the nurse.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:25 AM on May. 25, 2009

• You do not have to give formula to make sure a baby is getting enough milk. Just count their diapers. If they keep falling asleep at the breast take off their clothes so they are a bit cold, tickle their feet, burp them, change the diaper, etc.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:58 AM on May. 25, 2009

• I would take her in just to get checked. My child never did this. He was always alert and bright eyed. Anytime a baby is lathargic for long periods of time, I personally would take her in to the doctor. Perhaps it is just a growth spurt but anytime you are worried and get this funny feeling - take her in. Better safe and reassured than to not follow your instincts and something be wrong.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:56 AM on May. 25, 2009