Is fondant good on a cake?

I notice a lot of fancier cakes have fondant, is it tasty as well as pretty or do you prefer just regular icing?

we2angels

Asked by we2angels at 5:51 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Food & Drink

• When I got married I decided not to go with fondant because many people don't care for the taste. A good baker will be able to make MANY cakes designs that are beautiful without the use of fondant. There may be some limitations but, if they're good they will be able to bring together your design wishes with a great tasting icing. My cake had a very simple desgin but, it did look exaclty like fondant & EVERYONE loved the taste. I think you can have BOTH a great tasting beautiful cake!

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 8:39 PM on May. 24, 2009

• In my opinion, fondant looks much better, but regular icing tastes much better. Fondant doesn't taste bad, but it is no where near as good as regular icing. I use fondant a lot for baking though. It definitely looks better.
    Kelseigh5

Answer by Kelseigh5 at 5:54 PM on May. 24, 2009

• yuck! fondant is tasteless and has a weird texture. but you can do so much with it and make such a beautiful cake! I would think if you have jelly or something in the layers it would be good, but fondant itself is really yucky!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:55 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I don't like fondant at all. I prefer boiled fudge icing or real whipped cream with a teeny bit of vanilla sugar.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:56 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Fondant is the worst tasting frosting EVAR! Lol, I had my wedding cake done in a butter cream but the decorator used waxed paper to smooth it out completely and help make round edges and it looked like it was fondant but it tasted WAY better...If I can find a pic of it I will post it on my cafemom for you if you would like!
    Lovechild82

Answer by Lovechild82 at 6:31 PM on May. 24, 2009

• thanks guys, I was considering making one for my daughter's party and thought: how good can that stuff taste? it looks like glue!!! I'll stick with the regular frosting then and maybe it won't be as fancy but 2 year olds love taste, not what it looks like! :)
    we2angels

Answer by we2angels at 9:58 PM on May. 24, 2009