I almost feel like a hypocrite...

For my career, I have choosen to teach Health. Specifically, sex ed. I hope that my experiences with teenage pregnancy will help other kids make the right choices on sex. But, I'm dating a 35 year old and I'm 19. I do love him and we talk about getting married, and I do believe that we will eventually. But no matter how long we wait, he'll still be 16 years older than me and we still got together when I was young. My problem is, i'll be teaching that waiting is the best thing to do. And that age does matter.....If it comes down to the integrity of my career and a relationship, I choose my career. But I'm just not sure what to do right now. I won't change careers. Teaching is my passion. I know I'm kinda jumping the gun with the worrying about it, but I don't want to get too far into it and then decide that my career is more important.

sarapurser

Asked by sarapurser at 7:21 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• WHY does age really matter? My hubby is 21 years older than me and we got together when I was 23. Now, I know that's not teenager, but in the long run age DOES NOT matter. What matters most is keeping it in your pants until you're of age IMO. No offense to your situation. I think you would do great and I wouldn't feel hypocritical at all. You are of age, they are not, and that's your decision to be with an older man. They could learn a lot from your experiences I would think.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 7:26 PM on May. 24, 2009

• My mom an dad were 19 yrs apart and my dad and step-mom were 28 yrs apart(he was older than her parents!!). Age is just a number and should not be a deciding factor in a relationship(once you are of age). I don't ever remember learning about age in health and/or sex ed!
    Anonymous

• I don't ever remember learning about age in health and/or sex ed!

Me neither... Also, my dad was 22 years older than my mom. Dad and grandma (my mom's mom) were only months apart in age! I wouldn't worry about it, like I said, I think you'll do great :-)
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 7:35 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I was a teen mom, too, and my DD (now 13) asked me to come speak to her sex ed cless this year. I think it's a great thing you are sharing your experience with the kids. I think it will help some of them make the right choices.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 7:36 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Yeah. You're teaching kids to wait but not living it out.
    Anonymous

• Anon, did I say I was having sex with him? No. We are waiting. I said nothing about waiting to have sex in that question...it was about age. Learn to read.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 7:42 PM on May. 24, 2009

• OP..I think she was talking about the kids you would be teaching not you, I don't see a problem with the different ages. and your experience will help the kids realize its not easy. Some kids will listen and some won't. all you can do is try.
    Anonymous

• i think you are fine, and not being a hypocrite, and the only worries i would have about age difference, are the out come of studies being done that sperm from older men have a higher likeliness to cause birth defects like autism and such.
    teenagemama19

Answer by teenagemama19 at 8:01 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Is he stable, are you stable? Are you guys emotionally mature? I'm 20something and my husband is like 14 years older, but it works. He brings out the kid in me and keeps me balanced.For some people it works.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 1:43 AM on May. 25, 2009

• He's the VP of a bank...he's very stable. And so am I.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 6:53 AM on May. 25, 2009