What it will your best suggestion to prevent "early" sexual activity?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:45 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Be a close,communicating family . Make home a place your kids want to be so that they aren't out with their friends getting bad ideas.. Let them know they need to be mature and responsible and in a committed,lasting relationship before having sex. Tell them all about birth control. Tell them about STD's. My mother also said that if I had sex the guys would think I was easy, write my name on bathroom walls (For a good time call....and my phone number) She was kidding ;-) but I know I didn't want any guy to think I was easy and loose and had no morals. I was thinking ahead to when I would be wanting to meet my future husband and I wouldn't want him to think I had been sleeping around. The nicest guys don't sleep around either...and they want girls who have morals. THAT made me decide to wait to have sex until I was much older than in my teens. STress morals and responsibilty and keep the lines of communication open.
    Anonymous

• Build self esteme. Kids have sex so they'll feel good about themselves.
    Anonymous

• open communication with your kids let them know they can talk about anything without judgement

abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 7:48 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Keeping all kids away from the opposite sex because no matter what, they're going to do what they want.
    Anonymous

• It is important to build and maintain an open relationship with kids. I believe that this starts practically from birth, by teaching children the proper names and functions (at their level) of body parts and bodily functions. Making sure that children understand where babies come from and how to prevent them and diseases has been proven to delay first sexual activity and have it be safer than that of children taught abstinence only. There are teens who think that oral sex is not sex and that you can't get a sexually transmitted disease (STDs) Of course, we tell children that we want them to wait to have sex until they are married, and acknowledge that is may not happen. We at least want them to be mature enough to handle the decision: they should be able to talk to their partner about birth control and what they will do if it fails.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:52 PM on May. 24, 2009

• essays!!!!!!! due from both your child and their partner, and not just a 5 paragraph sissy paper a 5 to 7 page parer that covers why having sex at their age is so important, and how they will cope when things go differently than they had first planned! at least if teaching abstain-stance from the beginning has not worked!!
    teenagemama19

Answer by teenagemama19 at 8:09 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Wow Anon 7:49. What about the teens who experiment with the same sex? Pfft. Anywho, I agree with rkoloms. :]
    KareemsMami

Answer by KareemsMami at 8:48 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Have a relationship with your child. They need to trust you. They need to be able to tell you anything without fear no matter what it is.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 9:15 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Always communicate with your child and let them know you love them. Explain the emotional, physical and legal consequences attached with being sexually active. It's embarrassing at the beginning, but would be more embarrassing if you procrastinate. Be an active and loving parent.
    Anonymous

• we teach them moral values and why we shouldn't have sex until marriage. which might be old school but it helps to emphasis how important it is not to have sex. we attend church, monitor who their friends are. limit their dating, meet the girl friends and know where my kids are. also we talk about it. what would happen and the feelings involved in with sex. i did as a teen and i was trying to find love cause i never got it from my dad. still don't but i can tell my kids from personal experience how it made me feel bad for myself and know it really has a lot to do with self esteem.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 10:28 PM on May. 24, 2009