How long did you wait to move on after ending a previous relationship?

I ended my relationship after 4yrs and a couple of months. We have a son together. Before I got with my son's father, I had only been broken up with my previous ex a month. Now with my most recent ex, its only been 1month and i'm dealing with it better than i thought I would. I thought that I'd be going crazy thinking that my life is over and I'd never find someone else, but I feel happy for the first time in a long time. I am in no rush to start over at this moment, and I can't help but feel guilty when thinking about my son, I think dating within the next 12months is too soon, although I know its extreme. How long did you wait and did? Did it rsult in children or marriage? If so, did you think it was too soon or are you happy you jumped into it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:46 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Relationships

• I was with my ex for 2 yrs and 10 or 11 months. I waited about 3 months before i fell head over heels for my husband. We got married last year and he has a son from a previous marriage. My mom just died and we are now going to take in my little brother.
    At the time i thought it was too soon to get into a relationship. I had turned down everyone else before him but found his persistant charm luring. Now that i am married to him i wish i wouldnt have been such a b*tch and just accepted what i was feeling. lol.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:51 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Thanks for sharing, i'm really sorru about your mom. I wish you the best and my condolences go out to you and your family.
    Anonymous

• It has varied. I had my high school sweetheart end our 5 yr relationship on my 19th birthday: six months later, I was dating again. When my 3 yr marriage ended, I didn't date again until just recently, about 5 1/2 yrs later. But back then, with my high school guy, I didn't have kids, and now I do, so I don't like to take away time from them. I also think it has a lot to do with how you felt about the relationship when it ended (if you were still into it, it might take longer to date; if you are relieved it's over, then you'll move on quicker), and what kind of relationship it was (abusive relationships can make you wary and take longer to move on from.) I don't think there's any set time frame. If you don't want to date right now, then don't date. If you do, then go for it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:08 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I was in an abusive marriage, and the man I'm married to now actually got me out of it. In fact, I cheated to get out of the first marriage with the man I'm married to now.

Like tropicalmama said, it varies. I was ready to get out of my marriage but didn't know how. My friendship with this man turned into romance, and the rest is history (I'd known him 20 years when we married.).
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 8:26 PM on May. 24, 2009