Bedtime is a joke!!!!!!

My kids are 3 & 4 and recently have begun sharing a room (a couple days so far- to share our window a/c unit).

Some nights, it's been exciting for them and they've gone to bed well, but it seems like their old habits are coming back- getting out of bed numerous times for bathroom visits, drinks, and to tattle.

What do yall suggest other than just looming over them with the threat of spankings all night??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I explain that it's bedtime and they have had the last drink, potty etc and that they need to stay in their room and (I let mine chat quietly). W/ tattling, I tell them to work it out. Occasionally I have to intervene but I am stern about bed and they know it. I tell them they need rest to be ready for the day in the morning and they can horse around when they wake up. Sounds like you just did the room sharing thing and this will take time. Mine have shared since age 1.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:13 PM on May. 24, 2009

• don't threaten a punishment if you are not going to follow through; this is telling your child that it is not important to keep your word and lying to your children.
    We don't spank, believe that it sends the message that violence can be the solution to a problem.
    Here are my suggestions.
    - You set the rules at bedtime
    - They go to the bathroom now and fill their water bottles
    - If they get out of bed, they lose their snuggly for five minutes
    - If they get out of bed a second time, they lose their snuggly for the night

Good luck, be firm, be consistent.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:07 PM on May. 24, 2009

• My boys are 3yrs and 4yrs. I put them to bed at seperate times. And i've already put a stop to the getting up multiple times. Luckily, they dont ever do it any more. This is how i do it. Before they go to bed i make sure they have whatever it is they need. Go potty, drink of water, i read a book. ect. Then i lay my younger one down for bed first. If he gets up (which he doesnt any more but he used to) I pick him up, carry him back to bed and walk away. ...yes. it's CIO. But they are old enough to understand what bedtime is and why it is important. It's not like you're letting an infant who doesnt know any better CIO. Explain it to them if you need to. That they will stay in bed, and if they get out of bed you will put them straight back. ...then follow through. Be consistent. Whatever you decide to do stick with it. For the whole night, for the whole week, for the whole month. (it shouldnt take a month. lol). good luck!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:13 PM on May. 24, 2009

• These are great answers. I don't do water bottles in bed- maybe I will try that.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 9:00 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Welcome to my world...If the 3 year old insn't in the middle of our bed, he's in the middle of his big sister's! They will be some little snots for awhile if they are sleepin in the same room. That is a given! They, apparently, have to get their unspent energy out of their little systems before they can actually relax and try to go to sleep. Let them do so, or you will drive yourself nuts trying to control them at bedtime. Learn to live with this and you will be a much happier and relaxed Mom...
    rune2319

Answer by rune2319 at 12:56 AM on May. 25, 2009