Why do so many parents of special needs students seem to have issues with teachers?

I am an ESE teacher and have noticed that lots of teacher bashing goes on here, but it seems like when it comes to the moms of students with special needs it's even worse. I've chosen to work with kids who have a hard time learning. It's not easy! I know the kids have a tough time, but that doesn’t mean we’re not doing our jobs Why all the hostility towards the schools?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:57 PM on May. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well, IN MY CASE, my mother didn't do anything with me nor my sisters.It was the teachers who worked with me and never gave up.If it wasn't for my teachers whom became the reason why I wanted to become a teacher, my siblings and we would have been prego as teenagers, and living on welfare.Because of my teachers, I was an honor student with AP classes and joined the AF. Now, decided to stay at home with my newborn & my 6yr boy. My love for my country came from them, the way that I am have been influnced because of them and I honored them by serving them. Im sorry that there are those of you who have had problems with the teachers that work with you child.If you dont like them, talk to their suppervision. If you have a concern about how your child is being treated, take an hour or two and watch the classroom.Don't tell the teacher and just show up. You can do that!!
    jayjulmommy

Answer by jayjulmommy at 7:27 AM on May. 27, 2009

• well, for lots of reasons. I'm an ECE major and a mom to a special needs child. Teachers are under a lot of pressure to push the class forward. It's hard to do that if the special needs child is preventing it. (if the child is mainstreamed). Also, too many children are not allowed to work at their own pace. It's the biggest flaw in the United States school system. My younger brother has ASD. he is very high functioning but he was failing his math class. When someone finally asked him why he told them he was bored. ...so instead of trusting him (he has never been in trouble. EVER) they told him to bring his grade up before he could transfer to a harder math class. ...well, he did. and he got into the next level class, ...and his grade stayed okay. But he told me even that wasnt challenging enough but they wouldnt bump him up again? WTF? ...I come from a family with many special needs kids. ...Many teachers and school systems ..
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:02 PM on May. 24, 2009

• just dont understand. Of course not. It's ran by the government. And more and more parents keep getting the feeling like the government is implying that they could do the paretning better then the parents themselves. I cant tell you how many times my aunt has had to fight the school bored. And guess what? in the end she always wins? But how many parents take it that far to fight for their kid? Not many. Involved, active parents know what is best for their children. Teachers, although they have all good intentions, have a whole class full of students to think about and many times do not make the best choice possible for a singular child, especially one with specail needs.
    I'd like to add that we live in CA. ...we rank 48 in education.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:06 PM on May. 24, 2009

• because their jerks
    Anonymous

• because they don't think teachers do enough for their kids, I think their frustrated because they expect teachers to be mirical workers.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 8:08 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Because alot of times children aren't getting what they need to be successful. It's not all the teachers fault. My school district is lacking enough qualified teachers to handle all the kids that come thru. Anonymous 7:06PM is obviously ignorant so I'll pretend they didn't just say that. On the boards here it seems though that teachers aren't following the IEP set for their children. They get alot of the bashing because they are first in line. they deal with the kids all day and there is a tendency to let the special needs kids fail.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:13 PM on May. 24, 2009

• they don't have anything better to do with their time and out their frustration on the teachers
    Anonymous

• outstandingLove I'm not sure I understand your point. You say teachers are under pressure to move the kids forward, but also that kids are allowed to work at their own pace. That seems like a contradiction.

I really don't understand about the government being in control of my classroom. I assume an ECE major means you are going to be a teacher? Do you plan having the government run your classroom or will you?

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 8:17 PM on May. 24, 2009

• because it's better to blame the teachers than themselves
    Anonymous

• And no stacynoel I do not expect them to be miracle workers. I do expect them to follow the plan we set in place at the beginning of the year. If something is going wrong I expect to be informed so we can fix it. F*** you anonymous you have NO clue whatsoever.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:20 PM on May. 24, 2009