4 month old with Developmental Delay

We've just been told our baby (in New Zealand) has developmental delay and that she'll be slow learning to sit, walk and do everything . . . that she'll probably always be a child that is 'behind' for her age. MRI was normal and we are waiting on bloods now to check for chromosonal or genetic disorders. Only signs I can see that she is behind is that she has slight head lag (when you pull her to sit from lying on back her head still flops back, rather than staying in line with neck/back), and she was slow to smile and interact with us. However, she had an ongoing eye infection at one week old, and hardly opened her eyes for first month. We just thought this would have put her a bit behind with learning to do things, and eventually she would catch up and go on to be normal. But Dr says, sorry - no I don't think so!
Love to hear any advice/info/your story if you have been through something similar. Thanks!

nzmel

Asked by nzmel at 8:04 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think 4 months old is VERY young for to say she will always be behind. How can they possible know that especially when they don't know an underlying cause. I would get another opinion or at least stay optimistic.

Anonymous

• All babies do things at different ages. Example my dd is 9 months old and does not crawl or walk but does everything else. I guess if it was ME I would wait and just let her do her thing for a while. That's A LOT to put a 4 month old through....good luck
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:11 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I agree with the first two.
    But i also need to say that with many children if there is a problem early in life it effects them forever. If an infant gets reoccuring ear infections chances are they will have a speech delay. Even if the ear infections stop at 2yrs old.
    However, i dont think the eye infection has anything to do with the motor skills of your daughter.
    I also dont believe everything doctors say. Just keep your head high and work with her. get her to practice as much as possible.
    My high school teacher cut off her arm with a chainsaw ...the doctors were able to reattach it but told her she would never be able to use her hand again. Guess what? she has almost full controll over her hand because she told the doctors to shove it and practiced exercising her hand every day.
    Good luck!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:30 PM on May. 24, 2009

• My Dr. was very concerned when my 2 month old was not making any eye contact. He was showing no signs of interacting with people or his environment. He was my second baby, and nothing like the first who was noticing things at just a couple weeks old. I thought for sure there was something wrong with baby number 2! We were sent to a specialist, but baby wouldn't wake up for the Dr.
    Well, he is now 7 and really, really smart! He is several years ahead in both reading and math.
    Could there be something wrong with your baby? Yes, but it can be so hard to tell at this young age. Predictions can be wrong!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:08 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Okay...she's behind now. Will she eventually catch up? Maybe. Will physical therapy help her now? Yes.

You know she has a delay, so do what you can to start services for her to help her along!

A friend of mine has a globally delayed daughter who has had more of a medical history in her short life than anyone should ever have to have. She was told her daughter would never walk, would never do anything.

She is now 6 years old and is starting to walk and has begun potty training!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:22 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Get her into Early childhood intervention thru your local mrdd. my ds is now 20 months old and has been in it the last 2 months and is really making progress. they send therapists out for whatever it is your child needs help in and if they still need help after the age of 3 then the school board steps in and helps.
    babygirl9304627

Answer by babygirl9304627 at 9:31 PM on May. 24, 2009