Makes me so angry sometimes.

I'm trying to potty train my two year old, which is a chore all on it's own. But now when I tell him "pick up your toys" or instruct him to do something else he doesn't want to do he automatically says "I have to potty". I know he doesn't have to potty, he's just trying to get out of doing whatever it is I've told him....but....since I am potty training I don't want to deny him if he wants to sit on the toilet. Any ideas on what I should do?

ajguinn

Asked by ajguinn at 8:07 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• rkoloms...it never ceases to amaze me a the lateness of potty training. It's just so damn great that your daughter could tie her shoes and read before she could use the toilet. Most of us feel our children are better off using a toilet and learning proper hygiene. Maybe she'll grow up and be like you...knowing more than a medical doctor without having a degree.
    Anonymous

• After he runs to the potty, walk him back to the toys and take his hand and manually pick up the toys using his hand and praise him on helping out.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:09 PM on May. 24, 2009

• "Clean up your toys."
    "I have to go potty."
    "ok. Go potty."
    He goes potty and comes back.
    "Now, clean up your toys."

Let him go potty when he says he needs to, but just make sure as soon as he comes back that you make him do whatever it was you asked.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:11 PM on May. 24, 2009

• You tell him 5 minutes on the potty and then back to chores. Bring a timer into the bathroom to help him learn how long 5 minutes is, then back to work.
    I never ceased to be amazed at early potty training; my daughter was tying her shoes and reading by the time she was out of diapers.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:11 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I take him everytime and sit with him. But as soon as he realizes that when he gets out of the bathroom he is going to have to go right back to doing what it was I told him to do he tells me he has to potty again. (*sigh*) today has just been one of those days!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:25 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Let him go potty, every time he says he needs to, but make sure and remember what he was doing, so he still has to get back to it. And remember, a couple toys around the house is ok for kids...And if we teach them to put things away when we're done, there'll never be a huge mess.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:28 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Take him in and let him go. If when you leave the bathroom he claims he has to go, simply tell him that you just went (or just tried), go pick up your toys.

We're dealing with it to a certain extent with our 2 1/2 year old. We're not really training, but with two older brothers, he's picking it up on his own a little. If he says he has to go we take him. And he likes to go when there is something else to do, like go to bed! lol Now, he goes potty before bed and when he gets upstairs and starts the "I have to go potty" we tell him he just went and now is time for bed.

Maybe try timing clean up so he's just went potty? He goes then it's time for clean up and you KNOW he doesn't really have to go?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:09 PM on May. 24, 2009

• It's not just clean up, it's anything he doesn't want to do, and to be honest I have to say I know this is what he was doing because I ALWAYS did the exact same thing.
    I remember this from being very young, and my mom laughs when I tell her about what he does and calls it payback! Case in point, tonight he deliberatly threw his dinner plate on the floor. Lucky it was just corn left on the plate, but I still want him to learn that not only is that kind of behavior not acceptable, that when he does something like that he has to clean up after himself too. So I said "honey, pick up the corn" and he started to cry! I don't have to yell, its just that he didn't want to do it. Then after he was done crying and realized that I was still going to make him pick up the corn, he said he had to potty. He sat on the potty for 15 minute and didn't go. So when he came back out and found out he was still going to have (con't)
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:44 PM on May. 24, 2009

• to pick up the corn, he said he had to potty again. We went through this "pick up the corn" ordeal for almost an hour and a half. And I'm not unreasonable, I know he's two, so he missed some of it and I picked it up. It really amazes me too because he is a child that doesn't like to be dirty and actually likes to pick things up, just not when you tell him to. I guess it's true you get back 10 fold when you're a parent....lol....both my SO and I were terrors when we were children.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 9:48 PM on May. 24, 2009

• LMAO 9:04 anon! :o)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on May. 25, 2009