What's your opinion of famous cult leaders, like Charles Manson, David Koresh, and Jim Jones?

I saw an interesting tv show about Matthew Travesser and the Strong City cult today. Apparently Mr. Travesser is now having to serve 18 years in prison for sexual misconduct with a minor. And he claims to be the Messiah.

What's your opinion on people who use Christianity to get people to do their bidding?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 8:25 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• They see oppurtunity, know how to get people to obey them, and are extreme con artists.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:26 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I think they are all disgusting!! Nothing but cons and brainwashing they have done. Destroyed countless numbers of people just to have their powertrip!!!
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 8:27 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Oh, and if anyone is interested, here's the link to Matthew Travesser's website. Apparently they're gonna close it soon because he's going to jail...ahahahahaha.

http://strongcity.info/
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:27 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I think their hot, they turn me on
    Anonymous

• I think it sucks, but I can't tell what sucks more: people who are like Charles Manson and intentionally prey on weak minded people, people like Jim Jones who honestly believe they are doing the work of God until they become power hungry, or others who are just insane enough to really think they are the next coming or whatever.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:28 PM on May. 24, 2009

• They are sick people that need to be put away for a long time.

Answer by louise2 at 8:30 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Those who loose their sanity never know it, which is why I take comfort in the fact that I am pretty sure I lost, since that means I never must have lost it to begin with.
    Anonymous

• I think that their using Christianity is just a side note. It reminds me of an abusive relationship. They start out catering to the person and their needs/ego. If you feel alone, so are they; they understand you and accept you whatever you are or do, this is how they get in. I think this claiming of being the Messiah is from the power they begin to receive from the cult members (you believed in me now I believe in you and whatever you say) jmo

nateandlo

Answer by nateandlo at 8:33 PM on May. 24, 2009

• They in no way,shape or form represent what true Christianity is all about. They used their charisma to exploit vulnerable individuals for thier own gains,and paid the price.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 8:35 PM on May. 24, 2009

• That's the power of religion.  To brainwash and control!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:36 PM on May. 24, 2009