infant milk question

in two months my daughter will be a year old. I would like to start transitioning her to 2% milk then. How much milk should i give her a day when she is drinking milk and no longer formula?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I can't remember exactly but at the one year check up your doc will help you with this one.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:43 PM on May. 24, 2009

• i started my daughter on reg milk when she turn a yr old i would go with reg milk because she needs it right now when she is 2 then go with 2% that is what my daughters doctor told me i would try about half then work my way up
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 8:43 PM on May. 24, 2009

• She should have whole milk... but I plan to start my son with a couple of oz a day at 11 months to get him use to it and slowly advance.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:43 PM on May. 24, 2009

• You can start with like a tablespoon of whole milk added to her formula, then after she tolerates that for a few days, add 2 tablespoons, then 3, then half milk half formula, and so forth until she is completely on whole milk. I believe that your peditrician will tell u to use whole milk for until she is 2 years old due to the whole milk fats that help build their brains and eye sight. I'm not 100% sure but I think it's 2 years old when the recommend cutting back to 2% or skim, but that could just be my doctors opinion...
    JamiHartley

Answer by JamiHartley at 8:47 PM on May. 24, 2009

• It is recommended that they use whole milk until they are 2. My LO we started on milk b/c her pedi said it was okay, but her tummy can't tolerate whole milk so we switched to 2% and is doing okay. We tried it gradually but it didn't go over well, but when we changed to the 2% it was straight and she did great.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:50 PM on May. 24, 2009

• It's best to limit the amount of cow's milk that your child receives to 2-3 cups (16-24 ounces) per day, since too much cow's milk in a child's diet can put him at risk for iron-deficiency anemia (because milk can interfere with the absorption of iron) and may decrease the child's desire for other foods.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:03 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Our pediatrician had us switch to 2% when they were ready. Just switch.

However, if there is a sensitive stomach then you can slowly replace an ounce or two of formula with milk until it's all milk.

Our doctor told us to give 20-24oz per day with their meals, making sure they had as balanced a diet offered as possible. (we can offer the food, we can't make them eat it! lol)

I would speak to your doctor for the particulars about your daughter. My boys were eating champs, no sensitivities, no family food allergies and they were above the 95th percentiles.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:18 PM on May. 24, 2009

• 16-24 oz no more than that because it can cause anemia...theres no iron in cows milk...
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:01 PM on May. 24, 2009

• i just switched my daughter. i didnt mix it at all or anything and she switched just fine
    lmaines22

Answer by lmaines22 at 10:49 PM on May. 24, 2009