How to deal with inlaws?

jdenmommy

Asked by jdenmommy at 9:11 PM on May. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• I find an electric fence and ferocious guard dogs works pretty well.
    Anonymous

• We decided early on that we would handle our own mothers (our fathers are both dead).

Answer by rkoloms at 9:15 PM on May. 24, 2009

• can you be more specific? all ppl are different? are you meeting them for the first time? Are they annoyingly controlling or just off their rocker? Are they coming to your house or are you going to visit them? or do you live near each other? ect ect.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:15 PM on May. 24, 2009

• just close your eyes and go to your happy place. if one of those pesky little memories just wont go away, supress it way deep down inside. it will be all better.
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 9:22 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Treat them respectfully and as you would like to be treated.

Answer by Bmat at 9:23 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Smile and be nice to them..Hope they don't stay for very long.

Answer by louise2 at 9:28 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Treat them the same as you would like your daughter in law to treat you.
    Anonymous

• With a lot more respect than I get from her. But I smile and keep in mind that she doesn't have any impact what so ever on my life, only if I let her. When she tells me what her opinion is I smile and nod. She recently brought over some junky mat for my basement saying we should do the entire floor in that stuff. It was awful! We just smiled and said we will consider it. When she was gone that was in the recycle bin so fast. She can talk all she wants but in the end we are the ones who are in charge of our schedules, our child, and our lives. Most recent fit was us not attending vacation with her family this summer. Instead I'm visiting my terminally ill grandfather. She had a fit. We smile, ignore, and move on. She can't make us go. She tried. The MIL guilt only works if you let it. She tried working my husband over the vacation issue. Didn't work. We are a team and tackle her passive-aggressive nature as one
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:27 PM on May. 24, 2009

• My husband the mamas boy lets his mom get away with murder- before we got married he was still living at home and she was handling all of his finances etc. because he didn't want to tell her no... He was 35 years old! After we got married it took me over a year to get her to give up all of his info and stop meddling... after we got a bank account together she would use his passwords etc to log on and see what we bought--- drove me crazy for 2 years til we finally moved out of country. A 9 hour time difference helps out a lot, plus, a nice out of country bank account she can't touch!
    Angelbluewingsz

Answer by Angelbluewingsz at 3:52 AM on May. 25, 2009

• for: outstanding love

alright the problem is that they call all the time to ask for money. and when it is not for money is to
    tell all the problems they have. I don't like that because we have problems of our own to be dealing with theirs.

jdenmommy

Answer by jdenmommy at 3:16 PM on May. 25, 2009