• In the Spotlight:

So my DS has a fever.

I'm not really all that worried about fevers. It's not very high, but he's had this low grade fever all day. He doesnt get sick very often and the other times he has gotten fevers they didnt last long. so ...i dont remember if it is recomended to give the child a bath or not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Ha, trump you LOL I'm a pediatics nurse.
    If his fever isn't very high a bath would be a fine way to help bring it down. Just watch that it doesn't make him shiver which would make the fever go higher.
    As far as medications, and depending on age and weight, you can give Tylenol or Motrin to make him more comfortable. But if he is acting fine, then just keep an eye on the temp and see what it does.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:50 PM on May. 24, 2009

• im in nursing school so we learn about this a lot.. the best thing to do FIRST is give your baby tylenol.. if in an hour or so the fever doesnt go down then theres a problem and you need to take your baby to the doctor or call your doctor and explain.. you can give your baby a bath but try tylenol first.. when you have a fever you know how it feels and you are all cold and achey and the last thing you wanna do is get naked and have to go into a bath of cool water.. dont wrap your baby up in blankets either because that will keep the heat in.. just a diaper and maybe a recieving blanket draped on top. good luck!
    casper4991

Answer by casper4991 at 9:45 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I'm in nursing school as well as work at a Children's hospital and do not give your baby tylenol or motrin until the fever is over 102.
    Anonymous

• k I am not a doc or nurse but am planning on going into nursing in a year when my newborn is a little older, so I read alot!!!!! And I am a mom of a three year old also and have tested these theories. All of the above sound great and it is true that a slightly warm not hot or cold bath is best. You can also try to put a cold cloth on your babies forhead AND the back of the neck. Again, no shivering. Acetominophen is also great. Just remember, a fever is benificial. It happens for a reason, because the body is fighting infection. So unless a fever gets too high or is causing the child discomfort you don't really have to do much about it. With my kids, if they have a low grade fever I don't treat at all unless they are cranky. If they have a moderate fever I give tylenol or tempera and see if that helps then move on to other remedies like the bath or cloths. If that doesn't help then we consider seeing a doctor...
    londonmommyof2

Answer by londonmommyof2 at 1:12 AM on May. 25, 2009

• CONTINUED.... the best way to judge what to do is by how your baby is acting. You will know. Incase you don't know.....NEVER GIVE A CHILD ASPRIN. It can cause Rye syndrome. Even older kids but especially small kids. Take care.
    londonmommyof2

Answer by londonmommyof2 at 1:14 AM on May. 25, 2009

• I'm none of the above but I'd play one on tv if they asked me. Just watch the child. Give him the bath (you didn't mention his age) and lots of liquids and hold him (unless he's a teen and doesn't like being held by mommy) and let him feel the love. If it gets higher then call his dr or the ER nurse.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:12 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Skip out on the meds. Let your little one's body work at killing what ever buggy is ailing him. :) That's what fevers are for!
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 3:15 PM on May. 26, 2009