Anyone have a suggestion on how to talk to my husband about this issue?

love my husband, but it kills me inside with how he is with our son. I know he is a great Daddy because when he tries I see it in his eyes. Our son is 2 and our miracle from what doctors said he shouldn't be here with my high risk pregnancy and my endometriosis. Our son does things to get his Daddy's attention, but the only thing he does is tells our son no. Anyone have a suggestion on how to bring this sore subject up with out a fight? Both me and my husband were married before we met, he has two other children which he does not know if the one child is his and his wife was very abusive and wouldn't let him parent his boys. I want him to be a Daddy and show the love I know he has.

sunflower0515

Asked by sunflower0515 at 9:28 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Relationships

• Tell him let's focus on the positive (yes) and not the negative (no). Show the son what he can do and not keep showing him what he can't do. Have dad help you put up things that might be harmful to the child or he might break and cut himself. Make everything more child friendly so both dad and the child can relax and just enjoy each other. He can learn with dad's help without all the "no"s.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:34 PM on May. 24, 2009

• i would suggest you both get parenting classes not to single him out. you could always learn new things plus then he learns how positive attention works better then negative attention. i rarely tell my daughter no but say please don't do that or that is not allowed. no does sound very cruel, doesn't it? good luck.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 10:02 PM on May. 24, 2009

• You have to allow your husband to show his love in his way of showing love. Saying "no" is not not showing love. In fact, saying "no" can be the very most loving thing a parent can do. In almost every home I know, one parent is more indulgent than the other. Sounds like that would be you, and your husband would be the more stringent one. Balance is the key. The two of you will likely balance out each other. So don't try to make your husband's parenting live up to your standards. Let him do it his way. To try to interfere with that is to risk turning him off to the whole idea of being a good day. Your job is to tell him what a good dad he is and how much you appreciate the interest he takes in your child. You speak positive things into their relationship and let him decide how he wants to parent his own son.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:49 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I think you should plan an outing for the three of you.The zoo, a picnic what ever would be fun.You could show him how to have fun with his son and that would be a good start.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 10:38 AM on May. 25, 2009