I co-sleep with my ds but in a month I'm having another one, what to do?

I currently sleep with my ds, I have the crib set up in our room and the pac and play in another room. i figured i can put the baby in our room during the day and then put him in the pac and play at night and just sleep in the babies room, but my ds wakes up if i'm not sleeping next to him, and i dont want to run from room to room every hour cuz their both waking up. i'm a single mom so this is gonna be hard for me. can i just put the baby in my room along with my ds at night? Will my ds get used to the new baby waking up and just go back to sleep? What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is your ds? Is he old enough to put in a "big boy bed"? Maybe you can make him having his own room a fun thing...
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 9:34 PM on May. 24, 2009

• he is 21 months old and he wallers alot in a full size bed so he couldnt have a toddler bed or a twin bed
    Anonymous

• I think using the pack n play would be a good idea then. My daughter went straight into a bed of her own when my son was born (she was already in her own room, though). My son learned to climb out of the crib at a young age, but couldn't land well so we had him sleeping in a pack n play for a while. They sell sheets that are specifically made for those. I still think you'll just have to introduce the new room as a fun new adventure. I'd start right away so he doesn't associate the move with the new baby.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 9:38 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Honey, you are in for trouble. Co-sleeping is definitely something you don't want to start. You may have them both in your bed until they are teens! It's going to be very hard to break your son and now you are having another. I would definitely try to get him in the new room before the baby gets here and don't start this with the baby. It's definitely a bad deal.
    Anonymous

• could you get a bed safety rail thing (the mesh kind like they make for toddler beds) and put one on each side of your bed and have family bed? you, DS, and new baby?
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 9:39 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Just have them both sleep in your room.. If I were you, I would not start the co-sleeping with your youngest..You will never find a man,with kids in your bed.

Answer by louise2 at 9:41 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I had both my boys sleeping with me until I was so big with my daughter we all couldn't fit comfortably anymore. When the second one came I just put him on the other side of me. They both slept in the crooks of my arms. I had a safety rail on one side and my husband on the other.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 9:43 PM on May. 24, 2009

• And if you're worried about sex.... the bedroom is not the only place you can have sex. None of my kids were conceived in the bedroom. And our sexlife hasn't slowed down since we were dating. I'm married 19 years.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 9:45 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Why not co-sleep with both of them? That's what I, personally would do in that situation. Co-sleeping, as you know, makes things so much easier on you, especially with late night breastfeeding. Co-sleeping is also bennefitial for a chid's emotional health, I would never push a todler bed or a child's bed on him unless he feels ready to try sleeping in one on his own, and trust me, he'll decide to sleep on his own, on his own!
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 9:49 PM on May. 24, 2009

• If your bed is even a double you can do it. Baby goes on the outside or in a co-sleeper, and your toddler goes next to the wall. You sleep in the middle and keep him away from the baby. If you're breastfeeding then when the baby first stirs you pop a breast in their mouth and they go back to sleep. My daughter doesn't even make noise at night.
    If you're FF then the baby needs to be in a PnP or other cosleeper and not in bed with you. FF babies go into deeper sleeps, and there's a completely different dynamic between FF babies/moms then there is with BF babies/moms and it increases the risk of suffocation for FF babies. Also check this out: http://www.freewebs.com/sidecarcrib/
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 10:34 PM on May. 24, 2009