How do I go about finding out what was in the will?

I just found out that my great aunt & uncle have both died within the last few years. Our family lost touch with them several years ago when they just up an moved and never contacted us again, they weren't exactly the sanest people, btw. It was our great family mystery as to what happened to them and why they did what they did. Well, my aunt finally found out from some distant cousins that they were dead, but they were very abrasive with her and refused to discuss anything other than stressing that they died penniless. Our family is their closest living relatives and we know that my cousin & I were in the will at one point (great aunt adored the girls:). So anyway, just by the reactions of the people my aunt spoke to, I suspect that our family is still due to inherit something. Where do I begin with this? I'd hate to put money into private investigators & lawyers to find out there's nothing. Anyone have any experience/advice?

Elsasmom

Asked by Elsasmom at 9:44 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• If you were in the will, the lawyer and executor were legally bound to have you at the reading of the will. You mention they were "crazy" so it's entirely possible that you were written out when they moved.

You will need to retain an attorney to see the will, IF you even know who drew it up.

It's also possiblke they voided it and died intestate. If that happened, a probate court will have the records but there won;t be anything.

Also keep in mind that end of life medical bills tend to wipe out savings....they may indeed have died penniless.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:36 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I think it's very possible that we could've been written out, I'm just wondering if it's worth looking in to. It's really frustrating because no one wants to talk to us about this, so of course now we're suspicious as to why. It's 2nd & 3rd cousins that are blowing us off, and of course, just because someone's legally bound to do something doesn't mean they'll do it, unfortunately. These people were most definitely unstable, I already knew that, but I just found out tonight that my great uncle once served time for murder...and they used to babysit me! Thanks a lot, mom! lol
    Elsasmom

Answer by Elsasmom at 10:49 PM on May. 24, 2009

• You should be able to find out who the executor was through the county courthouse.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:21 AM on May. 25, 2009