Anyone have advice on getting 'fixed'?

We're due with our second child in a few weeks and our first is only 16 months old - obviously we haven't come up with a good form of birth control that works for us both. We're pretty sure that this is our last kid (and if not we're really interested in adopting), so DH proposed that he get himself 'fixed'. Does anyone have experience with this? pros/cons? Things we need to be thinking about before we take the plunge? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

mrscat206

Asked by mrscat206 at 9:59 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My brother in law got a vasectomy and he is very pleased with the entire process. They have insurance and it only cost them about $50. $25 for the consultation and then $25 for the day of the procedure. He said it wasn't extremely painful but somewhat painful. Keep a bag of frozen peas handy, take about a week off of work and invest in boxers. You still have to use protection for 3 months after the procedure and then go back to dr. and check sperm count. If there are no sperm you don't have to use condoms anymore. if there are sperm then you have to go another 3 months. but he said over all, he would do it again if he had to. it was cheaper and easier on recovery if he got a vasectomy then her getting a tubal ligation. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:04 PM on May. 24, 2009

• My DH just got fixed Friday! I was so happy and so worried. He is still a little sore today and sick unto death of laying on his back BUT I had THREE babies one with NO DRUGS! I never had to have a CS so I didn't like the idea of going under when it was so much easier for him to do it, and I felt like I contributed enough to the childbearing he could contribute to the child prevention! I had to go with him to talk to the Dr. They wanted to know how long we had been married, how many kids we had? ect. He had to take 2 Valium an hour before and OMG he was SO funny! Also, he will not be sterile for about 2 months and you have to bring in samples for the lab to check to make sure he is. If you have any more questions just pm me!

Oh yeah....we don't have ins and our total cost was $650. $150 for dr visit. $500 for procedure.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:16 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Dh had his done about 4 years ago. All and all it was a pretty easy procedure. It took about 30 min. in the office. Dh had it done on a Friday and was back to work on Monday. He has a pretty physical job and was still able to go back. He was sore for about a week. Make sure he goes back to have his sperm count checked. Ice and ibprofen will be is best friend.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 10:54 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Why don't you get a 10 year IUD put in. Its a little uncomfortable when being inserted in, but after than you won't feel it and its cheap and you won't have to take time off work.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 1:16 AM on May. 25, 2009