will this be a problem in the future?

my son is 2 1/2 and he really doesn't have the chance to play with other kids. i mean sometimes he plays with the 7 yr old next door, or his 4 yr old cousin, or every once in a great while a 3yr old that visits the neighbors. we really don't have any neighbors with kids his age and i can't afford to put him in any activities right now and i feel bad. do you think this will affect him in the future? with like his communication skills or something?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, i can tell you this.....mine has been in daycare so he is good with other kids but my twin sister has 2 kids and shes a stay at home mom. I have noticed that his communication skills are not near as good as what my sons was at that age. Mostly cause she doesnt have time to sit there and teach him stuff. He sons are 1 years apart and shes preggo with another. So I do think they miss out on things when they dont have interaction.
    angie_david

Answer by angie_david at 10:13 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Look for playgroups in your area, preschool story hours, etc. Social interaction is really important, but it doesn't have to cost money.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 10:31 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I have been a preschool teacher for 20+ years. Many parents talk about how many alphabet letters their children know and that is wonderful, but just as important are their social skills. You learn when you are little how to get along with others, share, take turns, work out difficult situations, follow adult directions, and follow a routine. Your 2 year old doesn't really have to start school yet, even if he waits until age 4 is usually sufficient for academics, but he really does need to learn to socialize starting now. Many local libraries have story time and will even have a craft time following the story, playing at a playground,even having a playdate with a friend that you meet at story time. Check around locally and see what is available for free or a small fee. Also, as you stated, children do learn to speak from listening to other children. Sometimes even quicker than by listening to adults.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 11:07 PM on May. 24, 2009

• my local library has a GREAT story hour. Usually some books, crafts, music and then we let them loose to play with each other while the moms talk. all free!

Also, I ALWAYS see the same moms at my parks. Meet them and schedule some playdates when you feel comfortable.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 11:27 PM on May. 24, 2009

• do you have a mall around you that has a play area? Have you checked out your local library to see if they have a story hour? are there any parks in your area? Maybe there is a cafemom group for moms in your area or a yahoo group? I agree that it is very important for socal interaction at a young age. I frequent the mall with a playland often and I've noticed that my son is getting much more outgoing and now even walks up to some little kids. He still doesn't share well but he is learning.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:50 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I have wondered that with my daughter, because she didn't get a lot of socialization later with other kids, but she is a real social butterfly. We started small getting her used to other kids in the beginning, because at first she was a little shy. Sunday School, going to the park, library, pet store, even the mall. Good luck. Children also learn by example. For them to branch out they need to see you making friends also.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 1:12 AM on May. 25, 2009

• I can say that I was with my mom as a child until preschool. I was sooo afraid to go and didn't know how to talk to anyone. i still don't. I wish my mom had gotten me out earlier. Maybe I'd be a bit more social now.

My daughter is in day care and she's sooooo outgoing and friendly. My cousin's kid is 9 months older and he won't leave mommy and daddy's side and he doesn't interact with anyone. i'd imagine he can overcome it, but I think it'll take a lot long for him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on May. 25, 2009

• Take him to a playground or park where there are other children. It doesn't cost anything and you may make new friends, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:03 AM on May. 25, 2009

• my 14yo dd same sit. she never had speech issues or social issues, shes now in HS and has tons of friends, she's very social now. so dont worry too much. but there are free things in local libraries, story time, or mommy and me stuff.
    Lvincent777

Answer by Lvincent777 at 1:48 PM on May. 25, 2009

• Join MOPS (Moms of preschoolers) I love it, and the local MOPS in your area will probably have some sort of play group, or just times everyone gets together.
    weezer_cookie

Answer by weezer_cookie at 3:42 PM on May. 25, 2009