Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does she have ANY chance of gaining grandparents rights?

Let's say your so's mother won't come to your house to visit with the grandchild, because she KNOWS you don't like her (because she caused a lot of problems between you and so, and you flat out refused to have anything to do with her toxic ass anymore).

Let's say it's been over 8 months since she has seen the grandchild (the grandchild is now 11 months old). Does she have any chance of gaining grandparents rights? Remember, she has absolutely NO established relationship with the baby, because she won't go to the baby's house to see her.

EXAMPLES of her toxicity:

Telling so he's not the real father, and that I cheated on him.
Telling so that I'm going to keep him from seeing the baby.
Telling so that it's not legal for the baby to have my last name, and that she'd go consult a lawyer for him.
Telling so that I'm going to skip town with the baby, and once again "offering" to consult a lawyer


Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (13)
  • It really just depends on the laws where you live. I know in Indiana, grandparents can only file for rights if the baby was born out of wedlock, there was a divorce between the parents, or a parent died. Even in those cases the grandparents have to proof they had already had an established relationship with the child and that the mother/father is preventing them from seeing the child...which she does not have an established relationship with the child and you are not preventing her from seeing the baby, it is her that refuses to come to your home. Either way it is still hard to gain grandparents rights period because usually the courts will side with the parent(s). I wouldn't worry about it. She can waste her money on lawyers and court fees and she most likely won't get anywhere.

    Answer by Ash9724 at 10:41 PM on May. 24, 2009

  • No she sure can't. The only time that those rights are used is for court purposes. Like if the parents are unfit. She can't take you to court and make you let her see the kids. All states are different though. Call your local Legal Aid office. I'm sure they can explane it better than I did.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on May. 24, 2009

  • Make sure that you've got a paper trail stating that you've offered for her to see the child in your home, but that she has refused.

    Then let her waste her money.

    Answer by Avarah at 10:29 PM on May. 24, 2009

  • Does SO mean he is just a significant other and not your husband? If so, she has no rights. She probably wouldn't anyway. She sounds nuts. I always wonder how people get into these situations? Why are you not married? Did you know your SO's mother was nuts before you got pregnant ---why didn't you use birth control? I would have. But that's just me. I am very cautious.It sounds like a bad situation. Consult a lawyer and a counselor.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 PM on May. 24, 2009

  • OP to anon 13:34pm:

    I am not married because I don't want to be.
    My pregnancy wasn't first thought when I found out I was pregnant was, "OMG now I have to deal my so's nutty mother!"
    I WAS on birth control...birth control isn't 100% effective...

    Any more questions??

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on May. 25, 2009

  • 10:34pm, NOT's after midnight and I'm a little

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on May. 25, 2009

  • Last I knew unless you were an unfit mother she can't take the child away, let alone demand visitation, after all she aint the father. But maybe part of the animosity is she can't see her grandkid. But does she really care or is using the child to have the attention on her and play victim?

    Answer by Glickstein at 1:09 AM on May. 25, 2009

  • I would try to have a consult with a lawyer in your city/town. It's difficult to say for sure if the grandparents could get rights because of how laws vary from state to state.

    Although, I would find it hard to believe that ANY state would grant grandparents rights. They have NO rights what so ever in my opinion. & it should stay that way. They're not the parents!!

    Answer by prettylilrae at 2:36 AM on May. 25, 2009

  • Answered at 9:34 PM on May. 24, 2009 by: Anonymous ....

    It's none of your business if she was on birth control.
    It's none of your business why she is or isn't married.
    It's none of your business about any of those things... her question had nothing to do with your opinion of her life. It was a question about grandparents rights, and you're apparently a nosey snot.

    Answer by prettylilrae at 2:38 AM on May. 25, 2009

  • It depends on the judge. But if I were the judge absolutely she would get the rights. That is her grandchild. And your personal relationship should have nothing to do with the relationship she has with her son's child. Either you or the childs father should be taking the baby to see her if you are so selfish not to let her into your home.

    As for all the things she's done, she sounds like a mother trying to protect her child from making a huge mistake in his life. The fact that he doesn't have the same respect for his mother now because of you speaks volumes.


    Answer by Chrissy629 at 6:17 AM on May. 25, 2009