What do I do!?!?!

okay here is my problem. My Mother in law is a filthy filthy woman. my DH and I go over there very rarely, but we ALWAYS make it for xmas. Well this year My first child is due right before xmas, and I do not want to take my new born into her house. They literally have paths through the trash on the floor. Last time i was there roaches were crawling on my feet and i freaked out(im a neat freak). I dont want to risk my new born catching something. Ive kind of mentioned this to DH but dont want to hurt his feelings or put down his family. How do I get out of going to his moms house without being forced to miss out on My family xmas. Am i being Selfish? I told DH he could go, but I wasnt sure if I was going to make it, but I dont know what to say if he asks why? I really dont think its a good environment for a new born and it worries me! helppp

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Holidays

• host at your house... just say with the new baby you do not want to run all over town and would rather have everyone come see you!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 11:06 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Host at your house, or get a hotel near your MIL if she lives far away and invite her to meet yall at a restraraunt or another relative's who lives nearby.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:38 PM on May. 24, 2009

• Say that your child is still a newbie and your trying to keep him/her healthy by staying out of the cold.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 12:50 AM on May. 25, 2009

• well, if your baby is due right before christmas, I think it would be a good idea to stay in anyway, so just let everyone know that you will be staying home. Or like the first posters said...you could host it at your home. I wouldnt want to do that after just having a baby. My 3rd child was born on the 11th and by christmas I was able to get out, but I would definitely come up with an excuse. Remember though..what happens the next year when your child is almost walking and definitely crawling? Ew...I cant stand to think about that.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:00 AM on May. 25, 2009

• It must be bad if it is may and you are already worrying about it!! LOL I have been in homes like the one you described (no roaches though just stacked up) and I can never eat in there. This is going to be a problem forever not just this year. One of my grandparents is a packrat and my dad finally put his foot down and said we weren't staing there because it was a fire hazard. he didn't tell my grandma that, he jus tsaid the kids have so much stuff and they needed more room so we would sleep in a hotel and go to her house during the day. It wasn't nasty..but very small and FULL!!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:43 PM on May. 26, 2009

• My daughter was born on December 17 so I can def. relate to the whole newborn christmas issue! I must agree with the first posters have a small get together at your place sounds like an easy way out of this whole thing. Just remember that newborns catch germs very easy (I am sure you know this since your already thinking about it now!). On my daughters 1st xmas she got coldsores and on xmas day (she was 8 days old) we were being wisked off to the ER and from that ER being wisked in an ambulance to a childrens hospital. I would wish this upon nobody it was so scary so please be careful (I didnt mean to scar you catching coldsores that young dosent happen often it was just a freakish thing that happened to us).
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 10:38 PM on May. 27, 2009

• When is your due date? If this is your first its not uncommon to be late. I don't think I would make any major Christmas plans you will probably still be recovering. I don't think anyone will argue with the new Mommy if she says she's not feeling well.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:06 PM on May. 28, 2009

• I can relate with you. it disgusting isn't it. my mother is the same way ,And so is my brother/'s ex gilrfriend's sister. I guess theres people like that out there still. its a shame but one can't really do anything about that except for the messy person hersrlf. But I agree dont go over have her come to your house or meet somewhere. and when or if she asks you why dont you go to her house any more. just be honest with her in a very respectful way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Jun. 6, 2009