Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

girls i need your help......

me and my husband have been married for four years and have been together for six we have three kids together, i feel like our relationship aint going any further. he doesn't work ,he sleeps all day and parties all night long,he doesnt pay atention to the kids and doesnt help me with anything.he joined a motorcycle club and told everyone including me that he would choose them over us.i cant work because i have a heart condition,so it limits me,if i was to get a divorce what would happen with the kids and what all would i be intitled to?


Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • I'm sorry things a messed up for you, It just depends on if he wants to fight you for custody or visitation. If you two can work it out without going to court that would be great. If you end up in court they take lots of things into consideration and there looking to see what is in the best interest of the child. If you don't do drugs and you can provide shelter, food the basic necessities for the kids and if he is also drug free and can provide the same oh, and if you guys don't have any domestic violence charges than you both will get shared custody if the court determines that the kids are better off with you then you husband will get visitation and if he uses drungs or has domestic he may only get phone visitation.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on May. 24, 2009

  • here in IL you would be entitled to child support for all kids under 18,. I get 40% of my ex's income for my one son, but again thats in IL. I am sorry you are going thru this and di would see a lawyer, check for legal aid in your county. good luck and ...give him hell mom.

    Answer by Bearsjen at 11:03 PM on May. 24, 2009

  • I don't know what the laws are in your state. I would suggest you contact a lawyer or legal aid- talk to them and find out what you are entitled to, as well as start the ball rolling for child support and custody. I would also ask the lawyer about any agencies/programs in your area that could help you. My suggestion is to contact United Way (they fund tons of organizations), or contact Lutheran Social Services, Catholic Charities, local churches, Salvation Army... alot of those organizations can either help you or direct you to places that can help. I would also see about getting a Medical Card, WIC, food stamps, section 8 housing. I wish you the best, I hope all goes well for you and the kids!

    Answer by MizLee at 11:45 PM on May. 24, 2009

  • Watch Fireproof.

    Answer by Glickstein at 12:47 AM on May. 25, 2009

  • Go to and click on Know the Laws then click on your state. With only 4 yrs married I wouldn't imagine you'd get any spousal support and if he won't work I'm not sure what you'd get but you can apply for public assistance and get a cash payment until he starts paying child support. If you own your home you could ask for it in the divorce but have to make those payments. You can normally have half of everything you bought together during the marriage. The kids can have their stuff. You could try getting on public housing so you don' t have to pay rent. If you are disabled you should try for SSI. If you get full custody of the children then perhaps Social Security would send you payments for the kids as well. They did for mine. Legal aid can do the divorce for free.

    Answer by admckenzie at 1:50 AM on May. 25, 2009