Can I have a beer if I'm breastfeeding?

Just wondering how much alcohol is okay while nursing. My daughter is exclusively breastfed and that isn't going to change but I miss the occasional drink.

cdecker83

Asked by cdecker83 at 11:11 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I asked a nurse that and she said that depends on what you drink and how much but the rule of thumb is Pump and discard milk every two hours for every drink, then after that you can nurse.
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 11:15 PM on May. 24, 2009

• If you can drive, you can nurse.
    Anonymous

• LLL and every IBCLC says sober to drive sober to nurse...as in NO buzz, a beer can actually increase supply if its a dark beer like guinness....no need to pump and dump unless you get trased and miss a feeding...because the alcohol will leave your milk before it even leaves your blood stream..
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 11:19 PM on May. 24, 2009

• an occasional drink i think is ok. I never get trashed and i never pump and dump. But if I want wine with dinner I have wine with dinner. Or my dad has a bbq every sunday and I mite drink one beer while i am there but never more than one and sometimes I cant even drink it all. I never drink it then nurse i will nurse first.
    nursinghannah

Answer by nursinghannah at 11:26 PM on May. 24, 2009

• my gf says that its actually a trick to increase milk supply and it always worked for her
    Imamom4sure

Answer by Imamom4sure at 1:28 AM on May. 25, 2009

• I seen at Walgreens they have something to test brest milk to see if alcohol is in it. Might wanna get those if your concerned.
    Jackaystout

Answer by Jackaystout at 1:37 AM on May. 25, 2009

• Why would you even chance it? This is your baby you're talking about.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 6:05 AM on May. 25, 2009

• Good to drive, good to nurse. Very little alcohol actually gets into the breastmilk and then it only stays there for a little bit. It is like your blood in the time sense. It only stays in your breastmilk as long as it stays in your blood.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:28 AM on May. 25, 2009