How do I get my daughter to burp?

I am having a really difficult time burping my daughter. We try every possible position to burp her. Sometimes she burps but it will take 20 minutes other times she won't burp at all and then she gets a tummy ache.

ILGsmommy

Asked by ILGsmommy at 11:27 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Some babies have a harder time. Try feeding her less amounts (for a shorter amt of time) then burping.

lean her over your hand and pat firmly (not too lightly) from the bottom on up to the top of her back-

-or-

put her tummy on your knees (with her head hanging to the left and her feet to the right or vice versa) and gently bounce your knees.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:32 PM on May. 24, 2009

• we have to try many positions for my 6 week old too. sometimes it takes a change in YOUR postitio, example if you have her over your shoulder and you are sitting, stand up, or bounce slightly and gently while walking her around. also try over your knees with her on tummy and lightly bouncing her, her on your knee sitting, ummm stand and place your hand under her tummy and her bottom against your midsection then pat her back. sometimes her own body weight will force he air out.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:37 PM on May. 24, 2009

• also as pp poster said it takes diff amount for diff babies so try feeding less or even a little more between burps. My son can sometimes take 3-4 ounces then does a giant one and is happy as can be.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:39 PM on May. 24, 2009

• I agree with what all the other posters, you have to try different positions, and small feedings. When my DD was really little sometimes nothing would work and I would have to use baby Mylecon - its a lifesaver, lol
    Kiiimmm

Answer by Kiiimmm at 12:08 AM on May. 25, 2009

• What worked the best for my son was to be bounced on out knee... even when he was tiny we just supported his little head and had him sit upright and we bounced him... it always got his burps out
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:11 AM on May. 25, 2009

• I had a hard time with my little one too. What I ended up doing was after feeding her I would lay her down for five or ten minutes and then burp her. Worked like a charm everytime. Also, are you breast feeding. Some babies don't burp as much when they are breast fed. Good Luck!
    HaydensMommy708

Answer by HaydensMommy708 at 8:48 AM on May. 25, 2009