Low grade fever

My daughter (10 months old) has had a low grade fever (99.2-102) for about over a week now. She also has light tan-ish diarrhea. Her pediatrician says that its just a big and it will go away, even though her symptoms are not getting better. We are visiting my husbands family and I am stuck in Mexico until the 28th, so it's not like we can just go to the ER. What should I do? I can get antibiotics without a prescription here, but I really don't want to give her them, unless she needs them. I'm giving her pedialyte and tylenol to help the fever. Is there anything else I can do?

smzuzu

Asked by smzuzu at 11:37 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She should kick it any day. Was there vomit too? Diarrhea is usually the end of the bug but if you're in Mexico, I don't know. Is she hydrated? Eating? Acting normal or lethargic? I'd keep hydrating her but I don't think there's much you can do short of entering an ER and getting an English speaking doc. My kids have had flus for 11 days before. I would only worry if the temp rises. Also, have you actually counted the days carefully?
    Anonymous

• Just let her wait it out. SHe'll be fine
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on May. 25, 2009

• The sugar in pedialyte can make diarrhea worse. Stick to her breastmilk or formula and water. Feed her carbs and starches to help stop the diarrhea.

With some stomach bugs, diarrhea can last for a couple of weeks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:58 AM on May. 25, 2009