Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can she go overseas with a warrant for her arrest?

hey everyone.. I have a really idiotic question. My friends hubby is being sent over to korea and shes getting command sponsorship. Anyhoo, she recently found out her license was suspended over a stupid traffic ticket (driving w/out insurance). Now before anyone goes off the deep end and gets their panties in a twist - she IS going to take care of it but it wont be until after she gets her passport thing situated - you guys understand miliitary pay SUCKS and she cant afford to go back home just yet (from west coast all the way back to east coast is kinda costly).

My question is, can she STILL get a passport even with a minor warrant like that or will it be a no go? Thanks in advance!!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Travel

Answers (10)
  • Very good question. Don't know. I do know you can't enter foreign places with a DUI, etc.

    Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:47 PM on May. 24, 2009

  • no she can not she needs to take care of it

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on May. 24, 2009

  • "no she can not she needs to take care of it "

    I think you're wrong, it has to be something huge like DUI, not paying child support, or federal crime/felony. Something minor like a traffic ticket shouldn't be a problem and if I'm not mistaken, her dh is military so she's probably getting her passport on post

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on May. 24, 2009

  • i'm glad you asked this because i'm in this exact same situation..

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 PM on May. 24, 2009

  • "i'm glad you asked this because i'm in this exact same situation.. "

    Whats your identidy, I'll PM you

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 PM on May. 24, 2009

  • Because she will be getting her passport through the military, it will not be the same as through civilian system. I am not sure if they check that stuff or not. I'd guess not though to be honest. Does she have to settle the situation in person though? Something like that, I would think could be handled long distance. I've had to do that type of thing long distance before. Once I took care of it via the state's website, the other time it was by phone.

    Answer by cat1622 at 12:08 AM on May. 25, 2009

  • I had a friend that was able to get his warrant for failure to appear for a traffic violation cleared up over the phone. He was two counties over, but didn't have a car that would make the drive. Would that be an option for her? Military is a lot different than civilian. That is an interesting question!

    Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:39 AM on May. 25, 2009

  • she should contact the state department

    Answer by rkoloms at 10:54 AM on May. 26, 2009

  • It will be no problem getting the passport over a minor traffic ticket. Tell her to go ahead and aply for the pasport first, she will have to get it cleared up before she leaves out of the country though, because the problem is not getting the passport, its leaving the country with an arrest warrant.

    Answer by WishyClarkson at 1:42 PM on May. 26, 2009

  • My hubby just found out his license was suspended (somehow the information got lost because he got the ticket while we were moving from Nebraska to Spain with the military so we never knew), and he just took care of all of his stuff on the phone and by getting a drivers license where we are now. He found out 2 weeks ago and already has his license. He had to go in to the Department of Licensing, take the written test, call and get his ticket paid, and then he went and took the driving test and for only $45 got his license. So she doesn't have to go home to do it she just has to DO IT. I am not sure if she can get a passport with that because the military does take it seriously. She can ask her husband's first sergeant if she wants to know. They will be able to tell her everything.

    Answer by AprilDJC at 3:53 PM on May. 26, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.