Is TTC Pointless While Breast Feeding?

I've heard that after 6 months, you are able to get pregnant even while BFing.

If I'm nursing a 11-12 month old child and want to start the process of trying to get pregnant again, is it even worth it to get my hopes up on conceiving within the next couple of months or shouldn't I hope for that until I ween my son?

No bashing, I honestly don't know.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on May. 24, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• You can get pregnant while breastfeeding. Has your period returned? If so then you chart your cycle and try to improve your chances of becoming pregnant that way. You CAN get pregnant before your child is 6 months old. Breastfeeding is NOT birth control. Yes it CAN HELP but it is not a guarantee that you're not going to get pregnant.

My personal experience is that I've not gotten pregnant while breastfeeding until my daughter was only nursing once or twice a day. However I was charting and avoiding until the time was right...I'm sure if we had TRIED during my fertile times then we would have been sucessful.

SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 12:03 AM on May. 25, 2009

• Breast feeding is NOT birth control. You can get pregnant imediatly after having a baby even if only breast feeding.
    Mom2SKMB

Answer by Mom2SKMB at 12:02 AM on May. 25, 2009

• This is very informative and may help

SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 12:11 AM on May. 25, 2009

• My friend got pregnant when her daughter was a month old and she was breastfeeding.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 12:11 AM on May. 25, 2009

• You can get pregnant IMMEDIATELY. You will get pregnant when your body is ready for another pregnancy...go ahead and try.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:16 AM on May. 25, 2009

• Well I was kinda right:
    Myth #1 – Breastfeeding cannot be relied upon to prevent pregnancy.

Myth #2 – Any amount of breastfeeding will prevent pregnancy, regardless of the frequency of breastfeeding or whether mom’s period has returned.

Exclusive breastfeeding has in fact been shown to be an excellent form of birth control, but there are certain criteria that must be met for breastfeeding to be used effectively.

Exclusive breastfeeding (by itself) is 98-99.5% effective in preventing pregnancy as long as all of the following conditions are met:

Your baby is less than six months old
    Your menstrual periods have not yet returned
    Baby is breastfeeding on cue (both day & night), and gets nothing but breastmilk or only token amounts of other foods.

(kellymom)

Thanks for your answers!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on May. 25, 2009