How can I relieve horrendous breast pain from weaning?

Have done it gradually like they said too, but being the time now with no pumpoing at all, it hurts.

teachermom222

Asked by teachermom222 at 12:03 AM on May. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ice pack is the only thing that helped me. if the pain continues or worsens, I'd go to doc to check for a clogged milk duct. that happened to one of my friends...
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 12:07 AM on May. 25, 2009

• Ice packs or cabbage leaves in your bra.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:15 AM on May. 25, 2009

• what my lactation consultant said is to get in a warm shower and let the water hit your breasts for a short time to ease the discomfort. It will allow you to still wean without the giant pressure or full breats, also it doesnt involve nipple stimulation so you wont keep producing massive amounts. Now if you want it to dry up completely try the cabbage leaves in your bra and ice packs for discomfort. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:16 AM on May. 25, 2009

• Cabbage leaves work great and take away the heat too!! It's amazing, be sure to also have a nursing pad in your bra with them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on May. 25, 2009

• WHen I was weaning my son my breasts would still fill up and I would be in tons of pain. I woudl use a warm compress to relieve some of the pressure or sit in the shower and squeeze some of the milk out. I know squeezing the milk your body would think you needed to produce more for baby but I didn't do huge amounts like my son was eating. Those 2 things worked for me. Now if they are red and itchy you might need to go to the doc. I had mastitis and along with the itchiness and redness I had a fever.
    amanda090784

Answer by amanda090784 at 2:02 AM on May. 25, 2009

• Let the baby wean naturally. There would be no pain at all.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 6:06 AM on May. 25, 2009

• Keep breastfeeding :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on May. 25, 2009

• Been there! The last feeding was the hardest to drop. I remember laying on the couch with an ice pack on one boob and a back of frozen broccoli on the other, ( we were out of ice). I pumped a little bit just to take the pressure off but it took about 3-4 days for my milk to dry up completely.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:07 AM on May. 25, 2009

• May I ask why you are completely weaning so early? The World Health Organization, which operates uninfluenced by the dairy and formula industries (unlike American doctors), recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of two years.
    Child-led weaning tends to be painless, as your body understands how to make the perfect milk for the age and health of your child.
    Consider for a moment that the pain is a sign that you are weaning too early.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:20 AM on May. 25, 2009

• When I was weaning hot showers helped alot. Some of the "extra" milk would just leak out, i guess from the heat, and it felt better. If you are up for it try sex, the orgasm did the same thing as the shower, helped the extra just leak out on it's own. It's better than squeezing it out.
    Anonymous