Would you put gasoline in you childs hair to get rid of lice?

My dh told me about a woman he works with, she put gasoline in her 2 year-olds hair to get rid of lice. It horrified me. A few weeks ago she offered to babysit when I needed a sitter for work. I politely told her no thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on May. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Have her read this story. This teen used gasoline to kill lice and look where she ended up http://www.courierpress.com/news/2009/feb/25/teenagerburnedtryingto-kill-lice/

here are other links

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2009/mar/07/mom-hurts-watching-daughter-in-agony/

This is DH's cousin.

BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 12:47 AM on May. 26, 2009

• no I ouldnt, the fumes alone are toxic. silly people I swear....
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:15 AM on May. 25, 2009

• Nope it says right on the gas pump that the fumes are toxic and can cause respiratory distress, that gas is a skin irritant and can cause burns, and that chemicals in gasoline are know carcinogens. Can't people read? For the love of hot dogs!

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 12:17 AM on May. 25, 2009

• Hell to the motha effen NO! ...but i would put coconut oil (or most any other kind of oil) in my childs hair to get rid of lice. Lice like clean hair. They cant crawl around or attach their nits if the hair is too oily.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:21 AM on May. 25, 2009

• NO!!!!!!!!!!!! Is that parent an idiot? Gas is toxic and a fire hazard. Some people's lack of common sense just floor me.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:24 AM on May. 25, 2009

• oh my gosh!! noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:44 AM on May. 25, 2009

• No way! But I would also do the coconut or olive oil.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:02 AM on May. 25, 2009

• In the old days they used kerosene.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:04 AM on May. 25, 2009

• Hell no. Crazy people I swear. What was that mother thinking. I rather pick through the hair piece by piece then do that. Nuts. Thank god I have a boy...If he ever got it i would shave his hair off.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 1:04 AM on May. 25, 2009

• My beauty school instructor used to say kerosine too. jsut dont smoke around it!!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 1:13 AM on May. 25, 2009