breastfeeding question..

ok so i'm trying to breast feed and its not working, the lactation consultant said i have very flat nipples and gave me a nipple gaurd but he still doesn't get anything when i use it. and he just goes to sleep doesn't even try to nurse. i've tried pumping and i get nothing, i know theres milk b/c i can squeeze a few drops out and i can feel that my milk just came in. so anyone have any tips on how to make it easier? i've been having to bottle feed b/c he can't get any milk and i try every time before i give him the bottle, but its just not working...would really like to actually give it a shot but its getting kinda annoying spending 15-20 mins trying to get him to eat only to have to give him formula. and i have no prob with formula, dd had it from the start never even tried to BF but wanted to give it a shot this time around...

vabchmommy

Asked by vabchmommy at 12:40 AM on May. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What kind of pump are you using? If you are able to get milk out by squeezing the pump should be getting some too if it's working correctly. I had to use a nipple shield too, for the first 2 weeks of my daughter's life until she got used to finding my nipple without it...
    It is frustrating at first, it really is. But don't give up! Keep talking to lactation consultants. It gets so much easier, I promise.
    cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 12:56 AM on May. 25, 2009

• first of all relax. take a few deep breaths and just relax. Hold your nipple between your two fingers like a peace sign and then make sure that your nipple goes into babies mouth all the way to your fingers. then just relax..hold baby tummy to your tummy. Baby just may be have a little nipple confusion. Drink a cup of chamomile tea to relax about 5 minutes before feeding. try to be alone in the room so you dont feel uncomfortable with others there. you can do this. Think of all the benefits to baby BF.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 12:57 AM on May. 25, 2009

• The LC should have given you shells instead of nipple guards. Breast SHELLS are worn when you're not nursing and draw out the nipple. Use the pump th draw it out before latching.

Please drop by the breastfeeding moms group here for more help.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:03 AM on May. 25, 2009

• yes def check out breast feeding mom groups here. I wanted the same thing and because of health reasons and meds could not. but remember...no matter if its formula or your milk...if your baby is happy and fed...youre a good mother. :o)dont let anyone tell you that you are harming your baby by choosing one over the other...love is love and you are doing the best you can,
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:41 AM on May. 25, 2009

• Try a different pump because if you can squeeze some out then a pump should definitely be able to get it going. Try putting him to the breast and squeezing a little out and touching it to his lips or tongue so he knows it's there. That might get him going.I also used a nipple shield because my son wouldn't latch. I actually used it the whole first year because once he was used to it , he wasn't giving it up . Plus it was a lot easier on him and myself to use it because if I didn't he would fuss until I put it back on.
    amanda090784

Answer by amanda090784 at 1:57 AM on May. 25, 2009

• Have you tried to take a hot shower RIGHT before you nurse? OR get some hot towels and use them as compresses on your breast right before you nurse. The warms helps stimulate a stronger let down. I had to do this when I first started nursing even without the flat nipples. It's easy and relaxing so it's worth a shot!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:15 AM on May. 25, 2009

• Have you tried a warm compress before nursing? It helps the milk let down quicker. Try that before pumping too. It might help you get something out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on May. 25, 2009

• Also try nursing in front of a mirror; this can give you a better idea of how well he is latching on.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:16 AM on May. 25, 2009