how do you get a baby to sleep in there bed

my son will not sleep in his room ... its like hes scared of it ... idk y ...

myheartjames

Asked by myheartjames at 2:00 AM on May. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you have to get tough mama and put him in there and say nite nite...and ride it out. seriously if you let him stay in your bed he will come up with every legit reason and non legit reason to stay there. keep putting him back in bed and from your room say"I am here, go to sleep, see ya tomorrow" and dont go back in if you can help it because then that becomes a game too kwim? I know its so hard but after a few nite or a week tops he will sleep fine and so will you. I had friends who had a 6 yr old and a 4 yr old in their bed because they wouldnt try to stick it out...ouch! good luck!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:03 AM on May. 25, 2009

• I had a similar problem with my son. I had to ask the doc what to do because I didn't want him to cry it out. The doc however told me to let him cry it out. He said put him in his bed, tell him night night, kisses, hugs or whatever your routine is and leave. Then let him cry about 15-20 minutes go stand by the door so he could see i was there, tell him night night again and leave. It only took me 3 days and I only had to go back once and then after a week I didn't have to go back at all.
    amanda090784

Answer by amanda090784 at 2:07 AM on May. 25, 2009

• and he dont sleep w me
    myheartjames

Answer by myheartjames at 2:11 AM on May. 25, 2009

• I don't know, I've never tried... we're much cozier this way. :-) And tonight my eldest two (6 and 4) aren at a sleepover in another town, so rest assured, eventually they don't need you this same way anymore. I much prefer to just enjoy it and make the best of it, and know that it will pass.

There are a bunch of things you can try - set up a sleeping bag on the floor by your bed so he can be close but not disturb you, and try to transition him back to his bed once he is feeling more secure at night. Here is a little piece about getting your child to sleep independently - it's short and covers the bases for doing this without tears and stress.

Good luck!

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 2:41 AM on May. 25, 2009

• It's tough with a baby as they still need to be comforted and you really can't explain to them that there isn't anything to be scared of, you just have to find a way to work it through with them.

If he was a toddler, I'd say talk to him, show him there's nothing to be scared of in his room and walk him around his room asking him what is scaring him and then showing him there's nothing to be afraid of.

If it's not a fear, it is okay to let a toddler cry a bit.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:02 AM on May. 25, 2009

• I had the same problem with my daughter I let her sleep in bed with me till she's 3 months, but like the other moms did. I let her just cry herself to sleep and when she did she would cry for an hour or two, but she finally went to sleep and after a week it was a normal thing she went right to sleep when we put her in there. If you think he might be afraid of the dark put a night light in there, but my doctor told me to let her cry too. Just after you get him use to it don't let him sleep with you cause that's the mistake I made. My daughter is about 16 months and I cant get her to sleep more than 4 or 5 hours in her bed good luck
    Angelgurl20

Answer by Angelgurl20 at 5:34 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I coulnd't let my son cry it out. Try reading the No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. I found it helpful. When my son had trouble sleeping, I sat in the room and read (with a book light) until he fell asleep. Each night I would put him in his crib, say good night and leave. If it seriously protested, I went back in and read. I totally ignored him otherwise. Eventually I walked out and he simply didn't care anymore! I just didn't have it in my to let him cry it out. he's now a wonderful sleeper!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 6:47 PM on May. 25, 2009