Teething at almost three months?

My son will fuss and scream when it gets late at night. He'll fall asleep nursing and we'll set him down and about twenty minutes he will just wake up screaming and want to nurse or suck on his hand. He will just gnaw at it.

My husband thinks he is teething. Could he be at this age?

I tried to give him a teething ring and he won't take it. Neither that or a pacifier.

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 2:30 AM on May. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It *could* be a growth spurt but could also be teething! My 12 yr old dd was teething really early and had teeth at 4 months - and subsequently started loosing her teeth at 4 yrs. She was finished loosing all her teeth before the other kids are age even started - lol.

My baby is 3 months now and is teething - she's got the drool going - biting on everything and has some bumps on her lower gums. She's not too fussy with it - but my oldest never was, either.

We use the Hylands teething tablets around here - they've worked well for us :)

Good luck!! :)
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 3:52 AM on May. 25, 2009

• colic?
    my twins are sucking on their hands and pacifiers too..
    maybe its a growth spurt. they ate 2 bottles in 2 hours so im kinda wondering that. im curious what others say about this. im a first time mom so i dont know. dont they start teethin at like 6 months?
    dennysgirl07

Answer by dennysgirl07 at 2:33 AM on May. 25, 2009

• We've never had a problem with colic before. and I haven't eaten anything different. I guess it could be colic though. I've heard of teething at an early age but I am not positive that he is yet. I'm a first time mom too and have no idea. hahaha
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 2:35 AM on May. 25, 2009

• did you feel his gums? my son started teething at 2 months so it's very likely that your's could be. i could feel little bumps where the teeth were trying to break through. baby orajel never worked with my son. you could try giving him some baby pain medicine. also, cold things can be soothing for some. try putting his pacifier in the fridge for a little bit so it gets nice and cold or using a frozen waffle (if available). my son would never use teething rings no matter how hard i tried!
    isamari

Answer by isamari at 2:40 AM on May. 25, 2009

• oh and just fyi, some babies are born with one or two teeth!
    isamari

Answer by isamari at 2:41 AM on May. 25, 2009

• My daughter started teething around three months. Her first two teeth didn't pop up until she was four months old though :D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:41 AM on May. 25, 2009

• Well I had my first teeth when I was 3 months old, so it's possible. They can also teethe for months before teeth actually appear. And if you know when you and your dh got yours, you might be able to tell a little better b/c I've heard people who got their's early have children who are more likely to have them around the same time. My dd is 7 weeks and the dr said she was teething. Hope this helps =) (Also look into the whole colic thing as the pp said-ya never know)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 AM on May. 25, 2009

• i bet u he is hitting a growth spurt which is around 3 months!

then dont sleep as long as usual, they fuss often, cry often and eat a lot... i bet u its that.. google growth spurts in infants to get some more info .. if that is the case though, it will go way in a few days. my daughter just hit hers...
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:56 AM on May. 25, 2009

• teething pains and symptoms can start up to 2 months before the first tooth pokes through the gums... so yeash he could be teething, just cant see any bumps or anything yet.... my youngest started teethign at around 2.5 months and got his first tooth in a little before 5 months....
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 4:56 AM on May. 25, 2009

• Acually yes, my daughter broke her first tooth at 3 1/2 mos. I was shocked. But I don't think thats what this is. This sounds like colic. The crying, fussing and acting hungry. My first and my last were like this. Both in the early evenings...about 5-8 pm and then they settled down. I knew what it was with my last one so I was able to combat it a bit better. Babies do teeth for a few months before the tooth comes in so that means my dd was probably teething at 8 weeks old....LOL. She also lost all her teeth early and had braces earlier than most. So the longer they take to come in...the better. I hope he starts feeling better.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:40 AM on May. 25, 2009