A 7 year old with a cell phone?

At what age is too young for a cell phone? I've always told my kids when you can pay the bill yourself then you can have a cell phone. What are your rules?

luvmygrlz

Asked by luvmygrlz at 2:42 AM on May. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i think by the age they are able to walk home from school, a firefly or prepid cell phone is appropriate. my little cousin has a firefly, where you can only dial 911 and 4 other numbers that parents program.
    mom2b111009

Answer by mom2b111009 at 2:57 PM on May. 25, 2009

• WELL MY 9 YO STEP DAUGHTER HAS ONE WHEN SHE STAYS WITH US SO HER MOM CAN GET AHOLD OF HER WHEN SHE IS WITH HER GRANDPARENTS.....WE DO NOT LET HER TAKE IT HOME WITH HER THOUGH.
    TashaMarie349

Answer by TashaMarie349 at 2:44 AM on May. 25, 2009

• My parents rule was when we started driving. Now, probably 14. When my daughter gets to high school, it's nice to be able to get ahold of them when they are involved in extracurriculars.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:47 AM on May. 25, 2009

• if they are going to be away from home and limited access to a land line, then id get a pre paid , no matter what age.. but to just have one that is theirs 24/7.. when ever they started being away from em more and hanging out with friends... maybe 13-14... but with privalagfes comes lots of rules and responsabilities
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 4:53 AM on May. 25, 2009

• My girls are 11 and almost 15 and they both have phones. Just in the last year though. I have no problems with them other than the 11 yr old loses hers sometimes. I also reserve the right to take them as punishment at any time. This works well with my older dd. I think each parent should evaluate their own childs maturity and situation and what works for them. In middle school my daughter regularly needed to call me to pick her up after activities and now, shes not supposed to have it, but she texts me during class. I think it keeps us close. I just told her to keep it out of sight. She never once got caught so she must be good at it.....LOL. Actually she said her teachers didnt care because shes honors. They treat them differently. Its each parents personal choice. Ten is probably what I would make the youngest unless there was a custodial issue.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:31 AM on May. 25, 2009

• my son who used his own money from his 7th birthday, bought a phone, he had chores for more minutes. After the first couple of days, the excitement wore off and he kept it in his backpack. If he was caught with it out in school he lost it for good.(i have to say I'm more than happy that he had one, due to he passed away 1-28-09 and i have his voicemail and texts as an added memory)

bgdvil

Answer by bgdvil at 9:01 AM on May. 25, 2009

• I don't know about 7, but it would depend on the child and the price and availability of calling plans. Both my 10 yr old grandson and 11 yr old nephew have cell phones that they carry with them in case of emergency, and neither one of them have abused the privilege. They use the land lines in the house to call if they just want to chat with their friends.

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:11 AM on May. 25, 2009

• My 6 year old has one for emergencies based on an incident that occured at the beginning of the year.
    Kaelaasmom

Answer by Kaelaasmom at 9:20 AM on May. 25, 2009

• bgdvil...I just read your post and looked at your page...I am so sorry for your loss. This has to be the most painful time in your life. Im glad you have his cell phone to hear his voice when you want to remember. Hugs to you and I hope your heart is restored soon!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:29 AM on May. 25, 2009

• You can always get them a prepaid phone so you have no bill and you can control how many min they get.
    Krissy21

Answer by Krissy21 at 9:29 AM on May. 25, 2009