Get the puppy...or wait a couple of years??? (chihuahua)

Recently my husband and I found a little chihuahua puppy that is exactly what I have been wanting and looking for since...well as long as I can remember. She was tan with bluish eyes, cuddly and very calm. BUT...very pricey AND I am concerned with the interaction between her and my 2 year old. I already have a yellow lab and 2 siamese cats also. I am so torn between these decisions right now...HELP!!!!!! I have always wanted a little lap dog, but I am unsure of the timing in finding her...then again what if I never find a dog that seems to fit into our family as perfectly as she seemingly would have? :/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 AM on May. 25, 2009 in Pets

• Well is it something you have the EXTRA money for? Animals can be expensive-they have to get their shots, and check-ups, spay/neuter, sicknesses, etc(that is if you take proper care of them). I love animals and if it were up to me, I would have a million! lol but it's the expense that I would question. If this is money you have and don't need right now, is there a possibility you will need it in the future? Is it in your savings that is there for emergency or something you are saving for(your child's college, etc)? My personal opinion would be not to get it, even though it may be hard to say no. I know chihuahuas can be VERY expensive, but I would suggest writing down all the pros/cons on a piece of paper and if the pros beat the cons, get it, if not, don't! GL =)
    MadisonsMom0408

Answer by MadisonsMom0408 at 3:25 AM on May. 25, 2009

• And I know that my 7 year old would adore her. That's another issue, she would fall head over heels, but I don't want my other furry friends to feel left out or neglected. My hubby was pretty attached to her very quickly too and was upset when i didn't just jump at the chance to take her home. With the recession and money as tight as it is I am constantly thinking about the what if's... What if we spend the $ and need it for something else, What if the puppy gets sick, What if I bring her home and the other animals get sick from her, What if she turns into a dog that does not get along well with children....I know, I sound like a complete worrier, and, in all honesty, I am. I over analyze everything. LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 AM on May. 25, 2009

• Chihuahuas are not recommended for small children. I would wait until your children are older.
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 4:04 AM on May. 25, 2009

• speaking from experiance ...chiuahahs are very tempermental.. when i bought mine 5 years ago he was calm and cuddly.... and now i had to give him away for biting my 3 year old.... granted not all of them are like that but they are known for their bad temperment.... personally id wait a few years until your little one is older.... children have a hard time knowing when a dog or any pet dosent want to be messed with, espically very young children.....

either way good luck, and i know its soo hard to turn down a pet that youve wanted for forever... ive turned down 3 border collies, becuase my kids are jsut 3 and 10 months,,, and i think arambuncous puppy would be a bad idea, atleast for a few more years
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 4:49 AM on May. 25, 2009

• It would be unfair and dangerous to bring such a small and fragile dog into a home with toddlers and larger animals. These dogs can break a leg just by jumping off a sofa the wrong way. These little dogs have no way to defend themselves other than by barking and biting. There are so many chihuauas and chihuaua mixed dogs at the pound since "Legally Blonde" came out and most of them are there because of that.
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 9:19 AM on May. 25, 2009

• A 2 year old and a chihuahua puppy in the same house? I wouldn't recommend it, that is a recipe for disaster.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:02 AM on May. 25, 2009

• I personally wouldn't bring a chihuahua into the house with any child under the age of 7 or 8. They are so breakable! Small kids just don't know how to handle them right . They love them to hard or to much and it's not on purpose but they hurt them. On the flip side A lot of Chihuahua's aren't patient enough to get along well with small child's prying hands. They can get snippy. So for everyone involved sake I would wait a few years.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:43 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I wouldn't get a chihuahua with little ones in the house. They're a little too high strung.

Honestly, I think the best place to find a specific breed of dog is a breed specific rescue group instead og buying from a breeder or a pet store.
    Anonymous

• chihuahuas are agressive, boston terriers and toy poodles are good for kids, but be prepared for high vet bills later, most small dogs have bad dental problems.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 7:43 PM on May. 25, 2009

• I hate to, but I have to agree with everyone else here. I wouldn't get a Chi while my kids were so young. Not just for your kids getting bitten, but for the pup too, it's dangerous. Believe me, I KNOW how hard it is to say "no" to a pet you've always wanted, but for the safety of everyone involved, including the pup...just say no this time. There'll always be another one in the future :)
    Anonymous