Does anyone have a child who is allergic to cats?

We have a cat and have had her for about 2 months now. We are all so attached to her. Well the other day I get out of the shower and my son is laying his bed holding the cat. His eyes were all ithcy and he just looked bad. So I go in my room to get dressed. Then I hear him crying to I run out to see what is wrong. He said his eyes and throat hurt. The crying got worse then one of his eyes starting swelling. I couldn't stand to see him so miserable and my first thought was he's allergic to the cat. So I called my MIL and took him over there. He is staying over there for a few days while I deep clean the house. We don't want to jump to conclusions and get rid of the cat if that's not what he is allergic too. Anyways does this sound like a cat allergy?

Babydoll1015

Asked by Babydoll1015 at 3:12 AM on May. 25, 2009 in Health

• It sounds like it very well could be! My little brother(who is now 7) was SEVERELY allergic to both cats and dogs. We had to get rid of them all because even if we kept the dogs outside and the hair got on one of us and contacted him he would have a reaction. He got accupunction to diagnose him. He was on a breathing machine for many years(he was diagnosed at less than a yr old), and still has to use an inhaler every day. I would suggest taking your son to a doctor and getting him diagnosed THIS WEEK so you can determine whether or not you can keep your kitty around! (i love my cat btw and i couldn't stand the thought of having to get rid or her, but if was her or my daughter's health, i'd choose my dd in a heartbeat) GL =)
    MadisonsMom0408

Answer by MadisonsMom0408 at 3:17 AM on May. 25, 2009

• *I meant acupuncture, not accupunction lol
    MadisonsMom0408

Answer by MadisonsMom0408 at 3:19 AM on May. 25, 2009

• I would never put my cat before my son. I've read stuff online about taking extra precautions to keep your cat if it's mild allergies. Anyone ever heard of that either? Being able to keep your cat when someone in the family is allergic?

Oh and since we have had her for some time now and he is allergic to her why is he just now having problems?
    Babydoll1015

Answer by Babydoll1015 at 3:21 AM on May. 25, 2009

• lol I knew what you meant.
    Babydoll1015

• *What Are The Main Symptoms Of Cat Allergy?
    The symptoms of cat allergy usually appear between fifteen minutes to an hour after exposure to the allergen, although it can take longer.
    The symptoms are similar to the symptoms of many other allergies. Red, itchy, or swollen eyes, a runny or blocked nose, sneezing, coughing and wheezing are all typical symptoms.
    *Ways To Control Cat Allergy Symptoms
    The best way to control allergic reactions is to avoid the allergen. But many of us love our cats so much, we can’t even think about parting from them, no matter how bad the symptoms are.
    It’s also interesting to note that the protein allergen can hang around in your house for years after a cat leaves, so even if you re-home your precious pet, you may continue to get symptoms for some time to come.
    If you want to remove the allergen from your home to protect yourself from cat allergy, you’ll have to clean your carpets
    (cont)
    MadisonsMom0408

Answer by MadisonsMom0408 at 3:32 AM on May. 25, 2009

• walls, soft furnishings and bedding. In fact, you’ll need to clean that house from top to bottom!
    Good ventilation is also important. As the allergen floats around in the air, a constant flow of fresh air will reduce the number of allergens lurking in your home.
    *Treatment Of Cat Allergy
    If avoidance tactics don’t work, the best thing to do is have a chat with your GP. You might be prescribed antihistamines, which will block the chemicals that cause your allergy symptoms.
    Your doctor will also be able to run tests to confirm that it’s definitely your cat you’re allergic to. Remember, the symptoms are the same as those of many other allergies, like dust mites and hayfever. So talking to your doctor will help you figure out the best course of action for you.

http://www.kidsallergies.co.uk/AllergiesToCatsAndHowToPreventThem.html
    MadisonsMom0408

Answer by MadisonsMom0408 at 3:33 AM on May. 25, 2009

• im allergic to cats myself, it sucks! you should take him to the doc, they will be able to give him a test to find exactly what he's allergic to, and give him meds for it.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 7:55 PM on May. 25, 2009

• If it's a mild allergy I would keep the cat around. That is absolutely an allergy but if you've had her two months and this is the first time it's happened, I don't think it's a cat allergy. Does she go outside? It may be that she rubbed in something that he was allergic to. I was deathly allergic to cats when I was little. I couldn't sit next to someone who had a cat without my throat closing up but I love them so I always hung out with the neighborhood cats and ended up building up my immune system. I now have two cats and only have allergic reactions like you're describing when they've found something else I'm allergic to. Have him tested. If it is the cat but not high up there, it was probably something else.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 8:52 PM on May. 26, 2009