A few questions regarding abortion

I've seen people say abortion should be limited to a few exceptions but otherwise banned. Which exceptions should there be? Perhaps health of the mother, or when the child has serious problems and will only live a short painful life, and of course rape and/or incest.
But if it allowed for rape and incest, what would stop a woman from simply claiming to have been raped? Wouldn't this raise the number of false rape accusations? If she had to prove it first, who would decide she could have the abortion? And if she had to wait for a conviction, wouldn't that defeat the purpose considering how long it can take to get a conviction?
These are a few things I've often wondered whether or not people who want to limit access to abortion have considered.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:14 AM on May. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think those people who are against abortion sould be forced to take ten unwanted babies into their homes to raise.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:01 AM on May. 25, 2009

• last time i checked people had the right to be against something if they want to , why not grow up and let people feel the way they want to about things . everyone doesnt have to think alike
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:15 AM on May. 25, 2009

• why? Killing a unborn child is NOT the right way to go about solving your problems! If you arent ready for kids... either get on birth control or dont have sex!!! I am AGAINST abortion because it is NOT the babies fault... why not give that child a chance and at least give it up for adoption? There are MANY women out there that cannot have children... every time you get an abortion, another womans dream dies!!!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 7:16 AM on May. 25, 2009

• A medical examination can determine if a rape occurred in most instances. sxc_mom_of2 you are right when it comes to a simple unplanned pregnancy. But you side stepped the issue of rape or incest. Isn't that just a way to victimize the mother even more? I feel very conflicted about this aspect of the pro-life philosophy. So things I feel are very clear for me - Late term abortions / partial birth abortions are wrong, abortion as birth control is wrong, but to save a mother's life or in the case of rape or incest I just feel it is so gray. All I can do is pray for the poor souls who find themselves in such a horrific position.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:48 AM on May. 25, 2009

• I am against abortion and I would gladly take unwanted children into my home. I would rather give them a shot at life then to watch them loose their life because their mother is to selfish to take care of her own misdoings. Rape is one thing or incest and in that event a report should be made and it should still be a 1 time thing as if it continues then your not doing your part as a responsible adult to prevent it. They offer birth control after abortions and in most cases you can get it free at planned parenthood. As for loosing your life or your child being totally unhealthy and unable to live on its own after birth then you need to think about the consequences of having an abortion. What if the baby is healthy and what if you could survive its just a high risk? I would give my life for my child and even if my child would pass after birth I would continue with the pregnancy to give my child a proper barrel .
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 7:55 AM on May. 25, 2009

• I would take 10 unwanted children into my home. Hell, I already have 4, whats 10 more? Theres always someone out there who wants them. People just dont want to deal with finding them.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:01 AM on May. 25, 2009

• I think those people who are against abortion sould be forced to take ten unwanted babies into their homes to raise

due to the shortage of adoptable babies you would be hard pressed to find ten.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:16 AM on May. 25, 2009

• If you believe abortion is murder, then why wouldn't it still be murder if a woman was raped?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on May. 25, 2009

• Well, I don't think a woman should have to prove she was raped, if by that you mean identify her assailant in the process. Most women don't report rape and they don't for a reason. Making a woman prove she was raped might be like putting her through the ordeal all over again. And then once the rapist has been identified that brings up a whole other sticky matter: does he have rights to the child since it is his DNA? Men can take women to court and try to get abortions stopped if they know for a fact they are the father.

ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:43 AM on May. 25, 2009

• I'd take as many "unwanted" children into my home as possible. So therefore that pretty much means that they are WANTED. I don't believe in abortion in most instances, even rape. There is always adoption. It isn't the baby's fault. You mention incest... is this incestual rape, or consentual? Incest can be proven with an amniocentesis. So there wouldn't be a guessing game on that. As far as the health question, you never know for sure. Doctors make mistakes ALL THE TIME. So, in situations like the 9 year old girl from Brazil who was raped by her step daddy, maybe abortion would be acceptable. But for the person who just went out and irresponsibly had sex, no way.

If you are raped, there is always the morning after pill. And if the issue is that they don't want to report the rape, you can get that without reporting it.

So, I think I've answered everything. And yes, I've thought about it. A lot.
    almostcrazee

Answer by almostcrazee at 8:44 AM on May. 25, 2009