sick baby??

my dd is 11 months old with a cough. can you give them cough meds? im waiting for my drs to open but i was just wondering?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:02 AM on May. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You could probably do a little bit of children's musenex or some other type of childrens cold and cough, give her half the dose recommended unless she is in a weight limit for the lowest dose. Our doctor told us it makes it worse on a child that small as it dries them up to much and causes it to become worse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:05 AM on May. 25, 2009

• I think you can, but I've read that they don't really work. The best thing to do is to give some Tylenol or Motrin and push fluids. You can fill the bath room with steam and sit in there with her or use a vaporizer for comfort. I hope the doc opens soon!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:13 AM on May. 25, 2009

• You are no longer supposed to give any child under 2 cough syrup. They've apparently discovered that cough has somehow caused more harm then good to their lungs.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 8:17 AM on May. 25, 2009

• I think only Tylenol and Motrin are recommended for colds, plus fluids. The over-the-counter stuff, to my knowledge, shouldn't be given to babies.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 9:18 AM on May. 25, 2009

• Not supposed to give over the counter cold meds to children under 4. Just had my daughter at the Dr. 2 weeks ago and Dr. said the FDA has not approved anything over the counter besides tylenol & motrin for children under the age of 4 and you should not be using those even if the pharmacist can calculate an appropriate doseage for the weight and age of your child. He said there are over 100 deaths/year in children under age 4 b/c of overdose of cough/cold meds. Instead try a vaporizor with Vicks cough stuff in the water and Vicks baby rub on the chest, back and bottom of feet (then put socks on over it). If it's a really bad dry cough visit the Dr. to make sure it's not whooping cough or something more serious. Hope ur little one feels better soon!
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 6:24 PM on May. 25, 2009