Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

VBAC?

So I'm trying to decide on attempting a VABC or just scheduling a c section for my second child. My first son was three weeks late. I was in labor for 72 hours (60 without drugs!) my cervix wouldn't dilate until I had the pitocin and the epidural so that the docs could turn the pit up to the highest level (that was after the first 60 hours of drug free labor). I dilated pretty quickly after that. When it was time to push I pushed for 4 hours! My son wouldn't come down. They finally did a c section and it turned out that his head was twisted the wrong way and he was not going to make it through my pelvis (plus he had a big head and I'm a tiny tiny girl). Since he was a big baby and I'm not a big person they had to cut my uterus an extra couple inches downward. That means that I can never have pit again.

Will it be safe to attempt a vbac with the extra cut? Is it safe? Is it worth it?

 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on May. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • My best friend scheduled her c-section a week or so past her due date. She wanted to attempt a VBAC but also be prepared with the c-section. She had a VBAC and it went very well. Obviously your situation is a little different. If your doctor is comfortable with trying it, I say GO FOR IT!! You can always switch to another c-section if it is necessary. Every single pregnancy and delivers has been SO different for me. You may have no problems the next time around!
    micheledo

    Answer by micheledo at 8:45 AM on May. 25, 2009

  • After 2 c-sections, I attempted a v-bac and successfully delivered a fairly large baby, w/o intervention. I delivered naturally for my final pregnancy of twins, also. Let me tell you, after my first child (who's birth was very much like your experience) and then a second c-section...it was way easier and less painful to allow my body to do it on it's own for my following pregnancies. With the twins, my uterus was so large, they were sure I would rupture, I didn't of course. The second baby even turned and had to be manually manipulated back into position. Although it is a risk, the chances of it actually happening are really quite slim.
    For me it was the best way to deliver.
    MomShawn70

    Answer by MomShawn70 at 9:02 AM on May. 25, 2009

  • Wow, your birth story is like mine, only yours was much longer! I was in labor for 24 hours, pushed for 2 hours, but had a csection because he wasn't descending into the birth canal. Reason? Same as yours, he was coming down crooked and was getting stuck in the pelvis.

    I didn't have the issues with my uterus, but I want to try to do a VBAC for the next pregnancy. I agree with a past poster ... schedule a csection weeks from your due date, and try the VBAC. It sounds like you did well without drugs.
    ap9902

    Answer by ap9902 at 9:17 AM on May. 25, 2009

  • VBACs are considered SAFER for most women than repeat c-sections.

    You mentioned that your sons head was turned the wrong way. Did they have you pushing on your back in the bed?

    Pushing in the supine (on your back) position actually makes the pelvis smaller and makes it harder for the baby to correctly turn himself during labor and harder for a larger baby to come out.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on May. 25, 2009

  • i had two vbacs. i am so glad i did! i used midwives... they were awesome!! i think you should try it!! good luck!
    check out the book natural childbirth the bradley way. by susan mccutcheon-rosegg i loved it
    bettylou420

    Answer by bettylou420 at 9:25 AM on May. 25, 2009

  • I had a c-section as well because my son was coming down crooked. He was head first but for some odd reason his head was turned upwards, if it makes any sense. I really hope I don't have to go through another birth like this again. Luckily I have a doctor who told me that a VBAC is possible for me since my circumstances aren't bad enough for a reapeat and that I would be a good canidate for one if future pregnancies go well. I would try if the doctor gives the okay.
    LaurenKaye29

    Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 11:21 AM on May. 25, 2009