can you help me give my son peanut butter and shrimp for the first time?

son is 18 months and i still havent given him peanut butter or shellfish/shrimp, scallops. just scared since i heard stories of kids getting allergic reactions and horror stories of having to call 911. doc says i should just have him try a little especially since theres no history of allergy in my family. he had an allergy to cows milk and some skin allergies due to some lotions/baby oil, but fine now. can you help me with some advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on May. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would just give him a little taste. Maybe a half a spoonful of peanut butter. Give it some time to see if there is a reaction. Another day, maybe give him half a shrimp, see what happens. If there's no reactions, then you know you can feed him those things.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:50 AM on May. 25, 2009

• i would do like your dr said. my son has milk and skin issues like your and he does fine with everything eles.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on May. 25, 2009

• Yes....just a tiny bit of something new each time. This is how we discovered my daughter's allergy to crab, entirely accidental at the age of 13. She decided to just try a bite of mine....and well, poor thing, it didn't work out too well for her.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 9:55 AM on May. 25, 2009

• Here's what my pediatrician says to do with peanut butter.  I guess you could do it with shrimp, but I 'm not sure.  She says take a tiny smear and put it on the back of their neck.  Put a band aid over it.  Check it later.  If it's blistery, he's allergic.  If it looks normal, you have nothing to worry about.

apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:42 AM on May. 25, 2009

• Peanuts and tree nuts are "not before 2" foods. You can give him soybutter or sunflower seed butter. I would google shrimp allergy and try to find guidelines.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:01 AM on May. 25, 2009

• My pediatrician told me not to give LO peanut butter or shrimp until after her 2nd birthday.
    My LO did not have shrimp until she was 2 &1/2. I gave her one shrimp that day, one the next day & one the next day . Just like when I started her on baby food to test for allergies. She just had peanut butter last week (She'll be 3 in July). I made her a sandwich with VERY thin peanut butter & gave it to her right before we went into town (where the hospital is) to run errands. I was much more concerned about the peanut butter & I have gotten picked on severely for it. Same amount for the next two days.
    She did fine with both :)
    eeyoreplus4

Answer by eeyoreplus4 at 11:38 AM on May. 25, 2009

• I just put a tiny bit on my finger and put it on their tongue for the first time. Then gave it 24 hours and gave them a little bit more...giving it a good week like that with the peanut butter. They were right about a year...under our pediatrician's guidance.

I actually used Honey Nut Cheerios as their first introduction to tree nuts.

The seafood we really haven't done yet. We're not big seafood eaters. lol They've each had a bit of shrimp and really like shrimp ramen.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:48 PM on May. 25, 2009