Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any Ohio lawyers in the house? (birth certificate issue)

I'm currently married yet seperated, not legally, from my husband... I'm actually typing up the dissolution papers. I'm seeing someone new and we are now pregnant. :) Question: I've heard over and over that in Ohio, the husband's name HAS to go on the birth certificate, but here's what a lawyer said that I e-mailed: "As to the birth certificate, when the baby is born (as I understand it) you have the option of having your husband's name listed as father have no name at all as father. Those are the only two options." I'm confused. Can someone please clear this up for me??


Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on May. 25, 2009 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (2)
  • i am not an ohio lawyer...but my mother is! if the new guy is the daddy, you'll have to leave the fathers name blank on the birth certificate until after your divorce is finalized. then you can petition the court to add the correct name. if your current husband requests his name on the document, you will be left with the burden of disproving him. that means you will have to hire a private agency to do a DNA. very expensive! good luck though!

    Answer by bestmommyeber at 12:49 PM on May. 25, 2009

  • Good luck, b/c normally a divorce is normally throwed out of court if the women is pregnant and the husband knows for this reason is to prove DNA, and the courts will have this done to prove it, but not until the baby is born. They want to basically just get all the divorce and child support thing taken care of all in one day or one hearing. But my thought would be to talk to a lawyer in person and explain the whole situation. But good luck!!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:08 PM on May. 25, 2009

Next question in Relationships

Next question overall (Money & Work)
Do anybody wanna talk about $$$ online