Know-it-all:

Do you ever feel like a know-it-all when you answer questions on here? I have a cousin who if you tell her something she just HAS to disagree with you. It drives me insane, and she is so stubborn to learning anything new. A couple of years ago she asked me what religion my SO is, and I told her "He' s an athiest" She said "Well, at least he believes in God" and when I told her that wasn't what athiesm meant, she was thinking of agnostic, and then was able to prove myself right (obviously) she got so mad at me she didn't talk to me for 3 weeks. And sometimes I wonder, am I like her? Do I just feel like I'm more knowledgable then I am? I mean, most of the questions on here are about personal opinions so I don't really feel there are wrong answers, but sometimes I get a little sick to my stomach and have to question as to whether or not I'm just making myself look like an idiot.

ajguinn

Asked by ajguinn at 9:12 AM on May. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have a family member like yours! She will make stuff up to prove her point, and won't back down. Stupid stuff she has told me: 85% of vaccinated children become autistic, all the children in her kids' school scored in the 75th percentile, and other really outrageous stuff.  I know if I go to the trouble to prove her wrong, she will be really angry. 

People on here ask for your opinion, you give it.  You aren't being a know-it-all.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:43 AM on May. 25, 2009

• Judging by what you have written in your question, I'd say you are intelligent and not looking like an idiot. As you say, most questions here are opinion anyway, and people looking for other points of view or tidbits of information, so we share what we can with them and hope that they pick out what is useful or helpful. You can be confident that you are doing well.

Answer by Bmat at 9:19 AM on May. 25, 2009

• If I know the answer to the question, I WILL answer it for that person. I try not to sound like a know it all, but I am sure someone thinks I am. If I dont know...then I simply say, I don't know or I don't answer at all. I don't just HAVE to respond to every question. I have encountered people like that in my past. Its an insecurity issue. okay there I go again having a know it all answer....LOL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:58 AM on May. 25, 2009

• You don't sound like a know it all. However, your cousin sounds like an idiot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on May. 25, 2009